Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

WHM Terminal and sshd-config setting PermitRootLogin to no

Discussion in 'Security' started by pineyscripter, Jun 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. pineyscripter

pineyscripter Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Security Advisor warns me that "SSH direct root logins are permitted" and recommends that I change the /etc/ssh/sshd-config parameter PermitRootLogin to "no".
    If I do that will I still be able to log into root using the WHM feature "Terminal" that is listed under "Server Configuration" ?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @pineyscripter,

WHM >> Terminal will remain accessible after setting PermitRootLogin to No in /etc/ssh/sshd_config. A person that's able to access Web Host Manager as the root user has the ability to generate SSH keys or run a temporary instance of SSH with their preferred configuration settings.

You can create the /var/cpanel/disable_whm_terminal_ui touch file if you'd like to disable Terminal for WHM users. Creating this touch file will disable Terminal for both resellers and the root user. Here's the full command:

Code:
    touch /var/cpanel/disable_whm_terminal_ui
    Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...