WHM to S3 backup questions...

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
That's correct. If one account has a problem and can't be backed up properly, the entire backup will generate a "partial failure" error in the log and you'll receive a notification about this so you can investigate the issue. The other accounts will continue to be backed up normally.

rivermobster

Dec 16, 2020
SoCal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
That's correct. If one account has a problem and can't be backed up properly, the entire backup will generate a "partial failure" error in the log and you'll receive a notification about this so you can investigate the issue. The other accounts will continue to be backed up normally.
Is there a way to verify that these backups being created will actually work, at this time?

I'd hate to Need one, only to find out something is wrong (with the backup files)!

Last edited:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@rivermobster - the best way to verify that a backup will work is to actually attempt a restore with it. I'd do the following locally on a non-critical account to test this process:

/script/pkgacct username

so you have a local backup stored in /home, and then try to restore the account from your backup.

rivermobster

Dec 16, 2020
SoCal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@rivermobster - the best way to verify that a backup will work is to actually attempt a restore with it. I'd do the following locally on a non-critical account to test this process:

/script/pkgacct username

so you have a local backup stored in /home, and then try to restore the account from your backup.
Understood on the non critical account.

New where would I enter that command? Remember, I'm new at this!

:P

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
No, you're a cool kid now because you're hanging out on our forums!!!

If you're not familiar with SSH it might be best to make a backup of the account through cPanel. You can do that, or you can connect with an SSH client to Terminal, or use the Terminal feature in WHM to perform that work. I would strongly recommend doing some homework on SSH before just jumping in, such as our guide here:

rivermobster

Dec 16, 2020
SoCal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
No, you're a cool kid now because you're hanging out on our forums!!!

If you're not familiar with SSH it might be best to make a backup of the account through cPanel. You can do that, or you can connect with an SSH client to Terminal, or use the Terminal feature in WHM to perform that work. I would strongly recommend doing some homework on SSH before just jumping in, such as our guide here:

Do I need to do this before I try the restore?

It is just a test site. It does not need to be backed up. (Although I will read this to learn).

Cool kids rock. :headbang:.

rivermobster

Dec 16, 2020
SoCal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Ah, if it's just a test site and you don't care about the data, I wouldn't bother. It might be a fun exercise to get you familiar with things, but it's not necessary.
Everything Im going through now is just testing this new environment. All my clients are still on a shared server.

I'm looking forward to having everything all dialied in on this new one, and getting them all moved over!

I'll keep ya posted...

Reactions: cPRex

rivermobster

Dec 16, 2020
SoCal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@cPRex

Ok so..............

I did a restore. Looking at the test site, everything appears to be just like it was. (I made some changes this morning, and they are all gone now, so that's good!).

So looking at the site, all appears well. With that being said...

There seems to be all kinna errors in WHM with the restore! I have no clue if this is normal or not. Can I PM you the screen shots please? Or should I open a ticket?

Thanks in advance,

-Joe

rivermobster

Dec 16, 2020
SoCal
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Errors definitely aren't good. You can either include a screenshot here or open a ticket, but a ticket would let us confirm directly on the system that things are working well.
I'll go the ticket route then. Thank you.

Reactions: cPRex