The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM User with Custom Privileges (Edit "Trusted SMTP IP addresses" only)

Discussion in 'Security' started by djlayz, May 18, 2015.

1. djlayz

djlayz Registered

Jun 7, 2014
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi cPanel,

First off I have searched these forums already but either I am not searching correctly or my question has not been asked, my apologies if this is not the latter.

I use my WHM installation for customer accounts and so forth, as per a typical WHM installation.

I also use it as a closed SMTP relay for another customer. All IPs are blocked except for the specific IPs I want to allow to relay, as listed in the Exim Configuration Manager >> Access Lists >> Trusted SMTP IP addresses.

Up until this point I have been the administrator so ACLs have not been a problem. However my customer is asking to be able to log in and edit this list themselves.. I obviously want this in a 'as controlled as possible manner' and do not want them to even see the accounts on my server. I have also been using this SMTP relay without issue for 2 years.

My questions are:
    1. Is this possible?
    2. If so, is this a GUI or SSH solution (preference on GUI but either is fine)?
    3. How can I do this?.

I have gone through the Edit Reseller Namerservers and Privileges but cannot find an option that's even close, without granting root access.

I have also followed the steps to create a user (smtpadmin) here and have gotten that far:

Greatly appreciate your response in advance. I realize this is a side solution.

I am very proficient with SSH so creating a solution via this method is fine.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

A reseller can not access the "Exim Configuration Manager" option in WHM or modify Exim configuration settings without root access to the server. You could create a custom ACL that references a specific file that's stored under the account's home directory, but keep in mind it's supported. The Exim users mailing list is a good resource if you need help with custom rules.

Thank you.