WHM VPS abuse report from Datacenter - How to find which CPanel user is sending SPAM ?

crossing

Oct 23, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
I just got an email from Datacenter that my VPS IP is sending abuse emails, I have 50 CPanel clients within this VPS using the same IP, email send is limited to 200emails/hour , even so I just received this warning from Datacenter to solve the problem. How can I find which CPanel user is sending SPAM abuse emails ??

If I don't solve this problem fast my VPS IP will be null routed :confused: and all 50 clients websites will be down.

Thank you

Last edited:

24x7server

Apr 17, 2013
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hello,

I can see you do not have a root access to check the mails server logs, Please try to contact your hosting provider and ask them to check this.

If you have root access, Please try with the following command. This command will show you directory path if your any domain is sending the mails through scripts.

Code:
awk '$3 ~ /^cwd/{print $3}' /var/log/exim_mainlog | sort | uniq -c | sed "s|^ *||g" | sort -nr

Also check : https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/CKB/How+to+Prevent+Email+Abuse

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Please check to see if they can provide you with an example of an email that was sent out so you can review the message headers in order to determine the source of the message. You may also find the following documents helpful:

Prevent Email Abuse
Mail Limiting Features

Thank you.