The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM with separate DNS and auto zone creation

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Soban Khalid, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Soban Khalid

Soban Khalid Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi,

I am managing web-hosting in a university data center. I have recently installed WHM on CentOS7.

Currently, we are running 1 DNS server on linux machine (CentOS) which is registered with our domain provider as ns1.domain.com.

I do not want to use DNS server of WHM as separate DNS server is already running, so how can i avoid the automatic zone creation and A records creation (such as mail.vhost1.domain.com, ftp.vhost1.domain.com) in WHM when I create an account?

I would be grateful if someone could tell me if its possible or not, and also the best course of action in this scenario.

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. Soban Khalid

Soban Khalid Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi. Thank you for the reply.
    Yes, I edited the virtualftp template (which is for shared IP address) and removed everything. It gave an error (attached). Then I removed all the A records from this template, but still zone files are being created for new accounts.

Attached Files:

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can disable the local name server by selecting "Disabled" via:

"WHM Home » Service Configuration » Nameserver Selection"

You will still see DNS zones in /var/named/, however the name server is not running locally so no additional resources are utilized. The existence of the zones allows for the generation of entries for records that relate to features such as SPF or DKIM (Not active entries, but it shows you which entries to manually add to your own DNS server).

Thank you.

5. Soban Khalid

Soban Khalid Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    @cPanelMichael
    Oh ok. Now I get it :) Thank you very much for explaining this to me :)

One more thing...If I am using WHM only for creating subdomains for my domain (e.g. sub1.domain.com, sub2.domain.com, and so on), which is a better way of achieving this:
    1. Add New Accounts against each subdomain and in Domain section of Account creation give the subdomain in the Domain option. This way WHM will create zones for each subdomain, as you mentioned.
    2. Add a reseller account against my domain. Then add subdomains through this account by going to List Accounts section and navigating to Cpanel of this account.

Which is the right way here?

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could actually just create new accounts with the subdomain name (e.g. subdomain1.domain.com) while logged into Web Host Manager as "root". There's no need to access cPanel and create an additional subdomain after doing this.

Thank you.

7. Soban Khalid

Soban Khalid Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider