The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHM's graceful and forceful reboot?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sydney, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Sydney

Sydney Member

I just wonder if WHM's graceful and forceful reboot can replace remote reboot port or not? BTW, what is different between graceful and forceful reboot?

2. techark

techark Well-Known Member

WHM's reboot doesn't do much good if your server hangs and you can't log in. So no in that instance it does not replace a remote reboot.

3. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:e40dea53b3][i:e40dea53b3]Originally posted by Sydney[/i:e40dea53b3]

I just wonder if WHM's graceful and forceful reboot can replace remote reboot port or not? BTW, what is different between graceful and forceful reboot?[/quote:e40dea53b3]
    [quote:e40dea53b3][i:e40dea53b3]Originally posted by techark[/i:e40dea53b3]

WHM's reboot doesn't do much good if your server hangs and you can't log in. So no in that instance it does not replace a remote reboot. [/quote:e40dea53b3]

Graceful rebooting the system is a safe method for rebooting, which means after shutting down all processes in the memory the system will be rebooted and no data will be lost, it's the same process as &reboot& command in a root SSH /Shell.

But forceful rebooting means rebooting the system without shutting down all running processes, it may results in data loss and it should not be used unless inability to graceful reboot however forceful reboot is preferred than hard reset.

Both reboot methods (graceful and forceful) are achievable through SSH too, but when you cannot access WHM and SSH now it’s time to use remote reboot port if it’s available.