The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who came up with this brilliant idea?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nibb, May 25, 2012.

1. nibb

nibb Well-Known Member

Today some servers got updated and with this release the new login page came in with the update.

I already knew about this new login page design as I commented on the topic when it was first announced. What I was not aware is how cPanel decided it would work. Im still shaking my head from left to right and back about this wondering who came up with this.

They said it would detect the browser language and display the language based on this setting. Ok, fine, it makes sense. And I consider this a plus.

What does not make sense is how they came up with the brilliant idea that selecting a language on the bottom overwrites the default cPanel settings !!!

I imagined those settings would only and only affect the language of the login page, WRONG. This means that in case the language was detected wrong, or you where in some other country, or computer, or in someone else house that speaks another language, or just what ever caused it display another language, you would hit the bottom with your correct language and it would change the login page. NO !!! It actually overwrites your whole session not just the login page language.

It actually changes the cPanel language temporary for that session. And this basically renders 3 cPanel features that are available for years completely useless.

First. What is the point now of setting a default language for some specific hosting packages or themes? This basically renders it useless as the user overwrites this settings from the login page. And since you cannot actually configure to which language to default this either, what is the whole point of creating even a locale in WHM in case you decide to correct or make a better translation of one?

Whats worst is that once you hit a language on the login page, the cPanel settings to change the language is completely useless. A user will keep hitting the language he wants and it will never take effect as its overwritten by the login page. Now try explaining a user he needs to log out from cPanel and then change his language from there and try explaining them that the language settings inside cPanel is still working but only and only if he did not selected a language before in the login page.

Lets put it very basic. The Spanish language has 2 options. Both terrible, so you create your own translation and now its useless, you can set it as default on all cpanel accounts and themes, but the browser will default now to a cPanel language one which is badly translated, and to add to this the user hits the language selection of one of them and now he cannot change his language back inside cPanel. Neither to the correct one or your creation.

I honestly imagined that this login page was only for the language in the login page not once inside cPanel.

What is the point of having now the setting in cPanel and WHM if the Login session is taking preference over any other server side setting? Honestly this is the most stupid design I ever saw on any software. It seems cPanel does not know how multi language users actually work.

Facebook, Google, all send you to the default language page based on browser detection, yes, but once you log in the preferences from your account takes place, ALWAYS. This means if I travel to China, my Facebook is in Chinese and I cannot understand it but once I log in, it changes to my language.

Not with cPanel, it seems. The language selection on the bottom is the language selector, and once logged in you cannot change it unless you log back out. How can the login page be more important than the choice and setting the user has selected inside his cPanel?

And how about users that have their own custom language created, now they cannot used it anymore either. Unless you have an option to disable some default languages from appearing or setting the login page to default to a specific one, options which are not here.

This is not rocket science, anyone with 2 brain cells would have figure out before going live.

The language options on the bottom should only change the login language, not the whole cPanel session. If not, you should be able to remove some language from appearing or have an option to force one to always be displayed. This is just plain wrong. Try hitting a language and then see what happens once logged in cPanel and try changing your language setting from inside.

And what happens now if cPanel is used by more than one person that speaks different languages? School, library, IT department, office, etc. Now this is a mess, as even if each one has his own cPanel account with their own language, the last one to select a language will overwrite the next user session language. Nice !

Not to mention now having to deal with the support issues, "The languages in my cPanel is not working, I select the language from the drop down menu and its not changing..."

This is bad and needs to be fixed as I already started to receive complaints 1 hour after it was live.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you believe this is poorly designed or implemented, please post a bug report on it being considered as a bug:

http://go.cpanel.net/bugs

The only way to have this revised is to report it as a bug or to have a feature request to change the current functionality. I would love to move this over to the feature requests forum for that reason.

3. nibb

nibb Well-Known Member

Well I don´t work with cPanel. cPanel should do the testing before releasing something. This is very basic GUI testing, I figured this out with 10 logins and so did some of my clients. The only way you would never see how bad this is implemented is if you indeed only use English and only English for cPanel.

I speak 5 languages myself and I work in 3. And most people I know speak 2 languages as well.

Providers not using English as default for their offerings will hit this problem first.
    Providers that have international clients will hit this as well.
    Providers offering services to business, which happen again to have offices in more than one country will hit this.
    Clients sharing computers or services with multiple staff.

Some users like their browser in English by design even if its not their main language, some in their local language.

The login page is correctly made when it displays the language of the browser by choice. And the language options in the bottoare also ok as they give you the choice to change this in case its not what you wanted. But it never should overwrite the settings the user has inside his cPanel account. The language choice in the login page should only affect that page and be limited to the login page alone.

And you can guess that 90% of users will think that language selection is only for the login page. I did. I never imagined it would render my cPanel language to null. Yes there is a warning about this, but you cannot take it back once you selected a language. The cookie and session is already saved. And not even closing the browser changes this back to the default.

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can override the session override using the Change Language option in X3 Screen Shot 2012-05-25 at 8.48.49 AM.png .

5. nibb

nibb Well-Known Member

Is that image from inside a cPanel account after the user is logged in?

Because I don´t see or have that option in my cPanel accounts, but then again I have a custom theme which is a clone from X3. I may have to digg into that as at least that option warns you about what is going on and lets you change back. Is that option in the detault x3?

How can I disable some languages in cPanel completely?
    How can I set one language to be the default on the login, like own I created?

My situation is this. 2 cPanel has Spanish languages, I created my own files, which of course displays with the name i_nname something instead of the nice default cPanel languages names.

Now, when users go to cPanel their browser is not set to my default, but one of the Spanish ones, so when they log in and they see text is scrambled and translation is bad, so they want to change back and can´t.

There are several issues with this which could be fixed if I could disable the other provided Spanish languages because letting users choose any of them is just embarrassing on how bad they are, I really prefer the options to be gone if instead of displaying them like they are currently working, and this is same since 5 years, it never improved, the translations where always very bad and incomplete. And this does not only apply to Spanish but also some other languages.

This basically promotes the usage of the provided cPanel languages which are badly made over the ones I use. Not to mention I changed some titles, buttons and text options, and I can´t do this on every single language, I already had problems of users not finding something because they where using another locale and my support/tutoriales, etc are made to point out to instructions with buttons names and menus using my locale. So if they happen to select another one they see names differently.

An option would be to disable this and let my own locale files to be used as option, and there also should be option to force 1 specific locale to be used as default instead of the auto detect.

I could just directly edit the log in template and erase this language options but I suspect it will be overwritten again in an upgrade.

I cannot seem to find this options in WHM anywhere.

I still think this is a bad implementation. A public page which anyone can open and control should not be able to control a setting inside a cPanel account.

Every single website and systems I know, uses your account settings once you log in. This means from Google, to social networks, etc. Imagine if the public page actually changed the language setting from each user, this means any user could change for example your Facebook language setting. Of each time you log in from that computer you would need to change your language manually. This is very annoying and extremely bad implemented. The cPanel account settings should always have priority over some public options where users are not even logged in yet.

As far as I know, I can send someone the url with the prefix for the language I know, and if they open it I have changed their cPanel language. I could send you a short url which redirects to it and I would control how I change YOUR cPanel language account. Im the only person who think this is just bad?

#5 nibb, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Change Language is an option in Feature Manager. Disable it and save to hide the Change Language icon in cPanel.
    If enabled, and clicked, you'll be presented with the area Ken posted a screenshot of, above.

You can set to use the old login screen here:
    WHM > Server Configuration > Tweak Settings, Display tab:
    AFAIK, you cannot disable or delete any Languages.
    WHM > Locales > Delete a Locale:

7. nibb

nibb Well-Known Member

That options disables completely the option to switch languages which is not what I want. I only want to disable some specific ones.

About the login option I was aware of it, but the latest release does not seem to let you append anything anymore.

You only have the option to select between
    mobile
    cpanel default
    cpanel-legacy

This are checkboxes. Where will I enter the url or append something?

8. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you select cpanel-legacy in WHM > Tweak Settings, you will no longer have the new login theme, which appears to be the main concern that Infopro was giving details on how to revert to the old login theme.

9. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Correct, the functionality is available in the unaltered version of X3 distributed with cPanel & WHM 11.32. Since you are using a cloned version of X3 you and your users won't see this functionality. You might be able to get it by copying the contents of /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend/x3/setlang into your custom theme. Please note that I have not tested whether that works.

At this point there is no way to do locale mapping, nor is there a way to configure the locales displayed in the login UI.

You can clone the login theme, removing the locale display. Cloned theme are not overwritten, nor are they updated. Information on customizing the login theme is here: Custom Branded Login Pages

There are two desired experiences we were attempting to achieve:

1. cPanel & WHM should display content in the locale the browser is configured for.
    2. cPanel & WHM should display content in the locale chosen at time of login.

With item 2 we have a choice:

1. Do we display content in the locale chosen at login
    2. Do we display content according to the locale configured in the cPanel account settings

Since item 1 (display content in the locale chosen at login) is a nearer-in-time choice, we decided it took precedence over what was configured in the cPanel account settings. This also allows for use in a support scenario where the technician needs to login to a users account, which is configured for a locale the technician does not understand. By allowing the choice at login to override the configured locale, it is simpler for companies to provide support in multi-locale environments without changing the account's settings.

We knew there would be instances where the choice at login didn't match the user's expectations, which is why we added the override setting I showed in my prior post.

We appreciate your taking the time to share your concerns with us about this functionality. Per your feedback we've identified the following ways we can further improve the product (this is not an exhaustive list):

• Provide a way to map custom locales to standard locale names (e.g. Please show i_my_es when es_es is requested)
    • Allow custom ordering of the locales displayed on the login screen. This would allow the admin to show the locales most commonly used by the users
    • Provide a way from the X3 index page to change the locale.
    • Provide a way from the X3 index page to revert the locale to what is configured in the cPanel account settings
    • Don't observe the locale selected at login if the account lacks the Change Locale feature

10. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I did some testing from this thread an another similar. If I select a language on logging into WHM, look around and logout close my browser, and then login to a cPanel account I am still using that other language. I'm assuming this item solves that:

Thanks for clarifying this, Ken. :)

11. cPanelKenneth

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes and no. It allows solving it for "I logged into cPanel and got some strange language." It doesn't solve it when logging into WHM or Webmail. We need to expose account preference capabilities in both those interfaces.