The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who can I pay for quality DNS Clustering advice?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by spaceman, May 14, 2005.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm not the sort of person who's satisfied by "this seems to work, so we'll leave it as it is". I'm always looking for 'optimal' solutions. I also understand that time is money, and that quality, professional, experienced advice needs to be paid for.

So right now I'm looking for quality, professional, experienced advice on the optimal DNS Clustering configuration for my 3 dedicated WHM servers - and I'm prepared to pay for it. Of course I could ask the question here, but I may or may not get an answer, and the answer may or may not be from a qualified professional.

So Experts Exchange it is? www.experts-exchange.com

Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

2. spaceman

3. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  4. spaceman

Thanks for the offer. :)

I've got clustering enabled already. What I need now is some advice about how best to configure it.

In a nutshell - if I have 3 servers, then do I cluster all servers with all other servers, or do I pick one, and cluster all other servers to that 'primary' server. To my mind, both would achieve the same result - changes on any server would get propagated to all other servers. But the second option is easier to maintain when it comes to adding more servers into the cluster - you'd only have to cluster the new server with the designated 'primary'. Am I getting it, or am I missing something?

#4 spaceman, May 16, 2005
    Last edited: May 16, 2005
  5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I do the latter. As you say, adding another server is then simple.

6. DIYHosting

DIYHosting Well-Known Member

Currently I have my cluster set up to go around in a circle (ie. Server1 -> Server2 -> Server3 -> Server4 -> Server1).

Would it be more effective to have Server1 sync with all the servers in the cluster and then Server2, Server3 and Server4 just sync back to Server1? Perhaps this would be better if one of the servers went down so the sync would at least go out to the rest?