The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

who offers domain name backordering?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PWSowner, Apr 17, 2004.

1. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Snapnames is probably the most well know place for domain name backorders. Question is, what other places are there that are constantly watching for releases?

A couple years ago I was watching a domain name that expired. It wasn't taken at snapnames so I just checked it every hour with a script. One hour it was still expired and the next, it was taken. Fall of 2002 it expired again so I decided to use snapnames this time. In spring of 2003 it was no longer expired and was registered by someone else.

I know it was released and then registered because both times it was a new registrant. Now it's expired again and I'm trying snapnames again but obviously they have competition because of last year.

Who is their competition?

I could see if someone else has it backordered, or I might even use other backorder services.

2. beekeeper

beekeeper Active Member

I just did a whois check on nsi and noticed that they have a backorder service.

3. PWSowner

Their backorder service takes you to snapnames. Snapnames is probably a part of netsol.

Thanks anyway.

Godaddy offers backordering, but they told me the checks are only done on a daily basis, not constantly like snapnames.

4. efeito

efeito Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I use snapnames and i must say... they always get the domains i want :D

5. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

SnapNames is good.

Make sure to go through a reseller, you'll save money and get more exchanges (in case they don't get your domain)

Try FastSnaps.com

I believe they have the cheapest snapnames rates..like I said, same exact service you're buying.

I use PairNIC personally who resells for snapnames too, but I only use them since I have a open account with them.

6. PWSowner

What competition does snapnames have?

They must have competition because there was an expired domain I wanted that I backordered at snapnames, and I also had my own auto whois script checking it ever 5 minutes. At one check point, it was still expired and 5 minutes later it was registered. It was newly registered because the registrant was not the previous owner. That means it had to have been backordered by another company or registrar, not just a snapnames reseller. If I can find the competition, I'd be able to backorder it through them also, for extra safety.

2 years ago the domain belonged to someone I knew, but it was forgotten about and the system back then made it necessary to wait for expiry. I told that person I'd try to register it once it was released but couldn't guarantee it. Someone else got it. Now it's expired again and I want to increase my chances of getting it this time.

I'll probably make my script run every minute and hope either snapnames or myself can get it this time.

7. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

I thought I would bump this thread to see if any has come up with any new sources in the last few months.

I have a client who is interested in "backordering" a domain name that has expired but has not yet been released by the registrar (register.com). I suggested snapnames, but they tell me the name is already being watched by snapnames.

If the service that grabbed squirrels domain name can get them before snapnames, then I would like to direct my client to them.

8. SarcNBit

It looks like snapnames may no longer being taking order from resellers.

From the fastsnaps.com homepage:

Customer Notice: Snapnames.com has informed fastsnaps.com that they will no longer accept orders via resellers. We apologize to all our existing customers, all present orders will be carried out and fulfilled as usual if snapnames.com register your domain.

#8 SarcNBit, Jul 21, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  9. PWSowner

About the only chance you have against snapnames is pool.com.

10. picoyak

picoyak Well-Known Member

Well i noticed that whois.sc has a backorder link, but it takes you to some Domain Alert site. Dunno about that.

11. PWSowner

Domain Alert is Godaddy, but their backorder service doesn't compete with Snapnames.

Snapnames uses a large number of registrars and auto watch programs to catch a domain as soon as it's released.

12. SarcNBit

Turns out the current owner renewed it the day before it was to be released. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the pointers people I will keep them bookmarked. pool.com looks interesting because there is no upfront fee. I do not like the sound of 'a short auction' in case two or more members desire the same name however. Beats being out altogether I guess.