The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why 5 versions of cPanel??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jcsolutions, Aug 2, 2005.

1. jcsolutions

jcsolutions Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me why there are 5 versions of cPanel (Stable, Release, Current, Edge, Beta) when only 3 of them are updated?? Seems like they created 2 new versions just for something to do.

Stable and Release were both updated the same day... are they different or aren't they? And neither have been updated since May 7. What, so many bugs that there isn't a Stable version?? :rolleyes: I know there are bugs in the present Stable version. Come on cPanel, if you're gonna make all these versions, please use them as they were indended.

I'm very conservative and have been sticking with STABLE releases only, but since nothing seems to be happening there, am I safe going with CURRENT? Many bugs in that, or is that the new "Stable"?

Thanks.

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Build Types and they all get updated

Beta for testing (not for production servers)

EDGE Edge is the bleeding edge tree. While it has the newest features; It has undergone the least amount of testing (if any). You generally shouldn't run this build unless you need a bug fix or feature in it. Once an equivalent CURRENT or RELEASE build has been released, you should switch away from this.

CURRENT Current builds are more mature then the EDGE builds since they have been tested in a production environment.

RELEASE Release builds are the prefered builds to run. They are generally current enough to have the latest bugfixes and new features, but without the worry of new bugs being introduced.

STABLE Stable builds are for the consverative people who do not wish to run the latest release.

3. jcsolutions

Thanks for the reply dalem, but I already know the "official" reasons for the different "builds". The thing is, they aren't using the builds for those reasons (or don't seem to be). They keep updating CURRENT but do nothing with RELEASE or STABLE.

4. takeover

takeover Member

it goes through stages, you can't just bump something up to current and release for the hell of it, that would be kind of pointless.

they do groups of updates and then start building up to release

they can't build it up to release everytime they do a bug fix.

5. jcsolutions

Having all those builds seems pointless to me...

I do really like cPanel, but sometimes their updating procedures seem a little funky. There's been more than a few times when my STABLE release has been quite buggy.

Anyhow, I just needed to rant a bit. I'm over it now. :p

6. forlinuxsupport

forlinuxsupport Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    hey guys

Too many builds if you ask me... :confused:

Is there any way to see which is the BEST build to run on a production Server ?
    How can I see all the fixes / bugs in the e.g. CURRENT release and the same info in the EDGE release.
    It would be nice to compare them.

Basically how can i see what bugs there are in which version so I know which one to run..
    All too very confusing to me. :eek:

I was running release, but found bugs so bumped up to CURRENT.... more bugs there .. so had to goto EDGE... :eek:
    Edge just scares me...

anyway.. let me know your feelings.. :)

cheers
    Andy

7. jcsolutions

I'm sorry to say that even if you go to STABLE, which by its very name you would think is ready to go, you'll still find bugs. :( This is supposed to be the best build to use, but has less features than the others. I've had STABLE crash on me more times than it should have. Bumping up to RELEASE fixed the problem. (Am I the only one who sees a problem with this... :confused: )

8. forlinuxsupport

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    stable - its all in the definition :(

Hey all

Stable should be ROCK SOLID... :mad:

It should be bullet proof.. :mad:

I understand it wil be a bit older and have less features.. but it should be TOTALLY STABLE !!!!!!!!
    :eek:

Cheers
    Andy

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Sorry, you're dreaming if you think that complex software can be bug free - programming does not work that way. All STABLE means is that it is a version that has had few bugs reported on it. It will always have bugs in it and some beileve that it's not the best tree to stay on because of the length of time it can take for bugs that are found to be fixed. Most actually prefer RELEASE, though personally I have always run EDGE and rarely had a problem and then they are usually fixed within a matter of hours.

10. forlinuxsupport

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Chirpy..

So cpanel is now complex software..... ok then... :p

But surely... Stable by definition means STABLE . ie does not crash.
    The bugs in stable should be very VERY rare.. :eek: .. if it has been tested soo much and people have been using it for soo long...

Im still trying to figure out how the release schedule works. If I find a bug in the RELEASE build. Will it be fixed in the next RELEASE build, or will have I have to go one level up to CURRENT for it to be fixed ?

Or are bugs only fixed in the edge tree and then slowly filtered down to RELEASE. :confused:

At the end of the day.. I just wanna know which is the best one ot Run on all of my Production servers.

Thanks for all your input
    andy

11. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The procedure is fairly straightforward:

1. There is only one build numbering system for cPanel.

2. The latest (excluding BETA) is 10.4.0-tree_250 which is in the EDGE tree.

3. The developers add new updates only to the EDGE tree. EDGE tree is seen as a developers tree for people who are happy to cope with immediate bugs and help cPanel in identifying and fixing them

4. When they determine that EDGE is sufficiently stable, the CURRENT tree is updated to the prevailing EDGE version. CURRENT is generally seen as a less risky tree to EDGE

5. Likewise, when they determine that CURRENT is sufficiently stable, the RELEASE tree is updated to the prevailing CURRENT version. RELEASE is generally seen as a good production tree as it is updated more frequently than STABLE but tends not to have the new features of CURRENT and EDGE.

6. When they determine that RELEASE is sufficiently stable, the STABLE tree is updated to the prevailing RELEASE version. STABLE is generally seen as a conservative build. While cPanel will generall recommend this build, most see RELEASE as more stable for the reasons I mentioned above. As bugs are discovered in EDGE it takes the longest time to reach STABLE and RELEASE is usually seen as a good compromise.

Nearly all these version trees exist from customer requests for them from both ends of the spectrum, i.e. those that want a relatively unchanging release to those that want the latest features and bug fixes.

#11 chirpy, Aug 4, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  12. forlinuxsupport

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey Chripy

Brilliant stuff.. thanks for the help :) :) :)

Ive been trying to figure it out for ages

Cheers
    Andy

:eek:

13. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

As Chirpt said, the range of options is due to request. When I first started using cpanel, there were only 2 options. The number of options was increased by request.

14. asmar

asmar Well-Known Member

Sorry Chirpy but I cannot agree with your opinion regarding software. Large companies like cpanel should use always UML,sequence diagrams before coding. Apart from that the stable version should have a policy like Debian, one version every x years, stable means bug free or at least without serious bugs and yes, stable version of cpanel has/had many serious bugs.

Just my thoughts :)

15. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

"large" companies?? are you kidding? Half the hosting companies that use cPanel are larger than cPanel. cPanel is growning ..but by no means is it a "large' company ..not in my eyes anyway and that in my opinion what makes it the best control panel out there.

16. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You're going to be disappointed if you believe that there's any such thing as a bug-free app. From the smallest to the largest developers and programs, bugs are found in applications no matter their age. A membership of VulnWatch and BugTraq will show you that. It's simply not going to happen and you will need to lower your expectations if you believe that it's attainable when humans are doing the coding.

17. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Maybe instead of working on cpanel, they should work on a new program that can take care of the work for them. LOL :D

18. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

I do have to wonder why it has been so long since a new Release build. Release used to be put out every 3-5 weeks and it has been 3 months. There is the one security exploit found about 1.5 months ago that is only fixed in the Edge build (something related to browser exploit, don't remember all the details) and the Release build really needs to be updated to include this with a new version. I hope the delay is due to high testing compared to normal and this is why it has been so long before releasing a new release candidate?

19. forlinuxsupport

PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    hmmm..

i tend to agree..

The releases do seem to be streching out a bit. :confused:

How hard can it be to put security fixes into the RELEASE or even STABLE version ?

EDGE should be for new stuff and testing....

A patch will take far to long to trickle down to stable..... (months ?? or even years ??)

20. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you follow the changelog you'll see that there have been some fundamental change in how parts of cPanel work, some rewrites and the new security model. I would assume they're waiting for those to work themselves out before the nest step up for RELEASE. That said, it does seem about time since things with CURRENT seem to have settled down now.