Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are SSL certificates from letsencrypt verified by cPanel?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Vetlo, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Vetlo

Vetlo Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi
    A while back a generated some certifcates using this guide [How-To] Installing SSL from Let's Encrypt evrything seemed to work fine, but when i checked the certificates now i can see that they are verified by Cpanel Inc and not Lets encrypt like they would be on a normal apache web server.

Although i presume this is fine it made me scared that we might somehow be charged for this certificate. I can't really find any other thread asking about this so i just wanted to ask that we will not suddenly be charged for this.

Sorry for any bad English or if the question is a bit stupid/paranoid i just want to avoid losing sleep over this.

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It is probable that the Let's Encrypt certificates expired (they are only valid for 90 days). If you did not have an application on your server that re-issues the expired Let's Encrypt then our AutoSSL replaced them with the cPanel branded SSL certificates. The certificates we automatically issue are without additional cost.

3. Vetlo

Vetlo Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Great ! Thanks for saving me from a minor panic attack. Does this also apply for certificates generated by the Auto SSL plugin ?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @Vetlo,

Yes, cPanel-signed (through Comodo) certificates and Let's Encrypt certificates issued through the AutoSSL feature are without cost, and automatically issued on accounts utilizing the AutoSSL feature. The following document provides some insight into how this works:

Manage AutoSSL - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

I recommend reverting the manual steps you took to enable Let's Encrypt in the past, and instead utilizing the supported plugin if you prefer to continue using Let's Encrypt:

The Let's Encrypt Plugin - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!