The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are they displaying errors?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CarlosCP, Jan 24, 2010.

1. CarlosCP

CarlosCP Registered

I'm a cpanel user - I'm not the administrator of the instance. I'm not the owner of the server, in fact.

But I currently have a server with a friend. I've asked him about this a few times, no avail.

I used to be able to add domains and start having the website displayed right away, but since the server move - something changed affecting how I add a new domain or putting in a new file for the domain.

Recently, I was given 5 more slots for add-on domains - I got an error 403 from adding one of the domains - I even tried to move an pre-existing folder into the domain so that the server recognizes it as an old site. Nothing worked.

One domain has "Great Success! Apache is working on your cPanel® and WHM™ Server" message. The other has a really "forbidden" screen.

This is what it displays: "Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Any idea on how to fix this? :confused:

I have 10 other websites on this server and they're not displaying either errors, at all.

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

You will need to check the apache error logs for the exact error message. You can check it from /usr/local/apache/log/error_log. Moreover, also make sure that you have added proper records in your DNS zone editor and assigned appropriate permissions to your folders and files.

3. jave

jave Member

Make sure that you have assigned appropriate permissions to your folders and files which allow the User/Group under which Apache is running to access the necessary files. If the file system permissions are wrong, remember that not only must the directory and files in question be readable, but also all parent directories must be at least searchable by the web server in order for the content to be accessible. For example, to make /home/username/public_html searchable use the following command:-
    chmod +x /home/username/public_html

You will also need to check the apache error logs for the exact error message.

4. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

The Apache error logs at /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log will give you a clear idea where the problem is. Browse the domain and tail the error logs at the same time

5. CarlosCP

CarlosCP Registered

403/404 error eliminated. Now its all up to me to figure out how to sort the apache problem.

I don't see this apache path, so I'm going to send my friend an e-mail.

Because the site with the "Great Success! Apache is working on your cPanel® and WHM™ Server" screen is supposed to be showing my index.html file, as I already have content in there; the subdomain associated this domain shows the index that I put in there. While the main domain isn't. strange.

Everytime I add a domain to cpanel, it sets up subdomains for the add-on domain in question.