The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't they tell you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cybercrypt13, Sep 21, 2004.

1. cybercrypt13

cybercrypt13 Member

Anonymous FTP

I have a huge problem and Hope someone can help me. I've always setup my own webservers but am trying cpanel to help manage things. So far I like most all of it except that I have users that are raising cain with me right now because they can no longer access their anonymous ftp sites.

Every single webserver on this planet support anonymous ftp by logging in as anonymous and then typing in an emailaddress for the passwords. However, the way Cpanel seems to have this server configured the anonymous login requires the full domain name after it. This has broken software applications that were being used that download software from the anonymous ftp servers and has therefore caused a problem I can't help.

Can anyone tell me how to get the ftp software to support a default anonymous ftp for each domain without having to place the full domain after it?

Thanks,

cybercrypt13

2. cybercrypt13

cybercrypt13 Member

You know, it would be really nice for CPANEL to take the time to think before they do things. I just clicked on the ftp configuration screen in cpanel to see if there was anything there that might fix my anonymous ftp problem. One thing was to switch to the pure-ftp server instead of the default. I click the button where it tells me its obtaining a package and has been doing so for the last 10 minutes with no change.

No warning messages to tell me that it would be shutting down all FTP services while this patch runs are you sure you want to do this, or even a warning that this might take 30 minutes to download the appropriate patch. As a result I am sitting here wondering if anything is going on. Should I cancel it? SHould I start it over? Should I restart ftp services?

This is exactly the type of bad software that causes hosts major problems. A little brain power could have gone a long way here. Now I am having to take support calls of another sort.

Thanks cpanel...

cybercrypt13

3. cybercrypt13

cybercrypt13 Member

No, I don't think that is what I said. I said that the fact that they have a button with no explanation and you think its going to walk you through switching and this just shuts everything down and starts doing something of which again no explanation is given as to what its doing, is a bad design.

Its a shame that you expect so little that its ok with you though...

4. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

cPanel and many other control panels are not for people who do not know what to do with a server.

If your machine breaks somewhere, what do you do? Blame cPanel.

Your problems seem to be within your server, not the software.

Brenden