The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why cPanel don't like PostgreSQL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trhosting.net, Jan 23, 2007.

?

I want to use latest PostgreSQL with cPanel

1. I agree

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Not necessary for me

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. trhosting.net

trhosting.net Well-Known Member

As you know there are lots of PostgreSQL users. We have some customers that are using PostgreSQL. But cPanel's pgsql support is very bad.

For example cpanel always gets the latest mysql and installs it, but as for pgsql, it can only use the db which comes with the distribution.

Some of the bug reports are closed and cpanel staff said you have to install pgsql from distro. For example we have Centos 3.5 why we must use the old postgresql, why cpanel don't use the new pgsql? On the other side, phppgadmin is very very old. I don't know why it is not upgrading to the latest.

We want to use latest PostgreSQL as MYSQL.

I know we can install latest pgsql, there are also some docs for this but we want it officially.

#1 trhosting.net, Jan 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  2. umutbesler

umutbesler Active Member

postgresql is important for us but we have to give a bad service for this...

We are installing seperate phppgadmin etc.
    This is bad for us

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is posted in the wrong place. As plainly stated in one (or more) stickies, we don't monitor the forums, they are primarily for community benefit.

If you want to influence this decision, open a bugzilla feature request (http://bugzilla.cpanel.net), outlining your ideas. Once the request is filed, vote on it. Post the link to the request in the forum and encourage other like minded individuals to vote on it.

We do listen to customer demand on such things, but we have to see real demand. Keep in mind that we support a number of older platforms. Can PostgreSQL 8+ be compiled/installed easily on RedHat 7.3 (for example) without upgrading half the system to newer software versions?

Rmember, it's not a matter of 'cPanel dislikes software X' it's 'is there real customer demand to justify the resource allocation for this endeavor?'

4. trhosting.net

trhosting.net Well-Known Member

Hi Kenneth,

Thank you for the answer.

There are lots of bug requests at bugzilla but most of them closed with saying use the pgsql from distro. Now i am thinking that if i create a new bugzilla request, it will be closed and marked as duplicate entry.

Now i created a new entry.
    http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=5119

Please post your comments.

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I cannot speak for the ones that were closed,only the newly filed one. Thank you for doing that.

6. budway

budway Well-Known Member

I guess postgresql support is lower because it has fewer users than mysql ?