Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Why do I need to rebuild sprites every night?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ozfiddler, Feb 9, 2015.

1. ozfiddler

ozfiddler Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm fairly new to cpanel and WHM so still trying to learn the ropes. Every night cpanel runs it's update and every morning I scan through the email to quickly check that everything looks good. I can't help noticing that half the jobs listed are to do with "rebuilding sprites". Just wondering why I need to be doing this every night? Is it necessary? Can I turn it off, because as far as I know I never do anything with sprites.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello :)

The cPanel update process is going to output lots of information. You really only need to review those logs if the update fails. The "/usr/local/cpanel/bin/rebuild_sprites" command is utilized to rebuild the cPanel interface's sprite map (essentially refreshes the icons in the cPanel interface). This shouldn't be CPU-intensive, so you can safely ignore that output unless you see an error message.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...