The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Do Permissions Need To Be Higher On Some Servers, Can It Be Changed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ttmw, Mar 30, 2011.

1. ttmw

ttmw Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why on some servers , scripts or software runs fine on lower permissions...say chmod 750, but then on a different server the same code needs permissions 777 to work. I've just uploaded a new script and it wont work without using permissions of 777 on the files...can i change this in WHM or anywhere? I really don't want to leave files with 777 permissions.

Thanks in advance :)

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    DSO requires higher file permissions, while suPHP and FCGI don't require higher file permissions for PHP scripts. I believe I probably already handled this question in your other forum thread in my last reply:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/hacked-...ation-not-permitted-200852-p2.html#post824842

Basically, some machines are using DSO for the PHP handler and some are using suPHP or FCGI. New cPanel installs default to suPHP for the PHP handler. In the past, the default was DSO instead, so older machines might be using DSO.