The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does Cpanel do this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nibb, Apr 13, 2008.

1. nibb

nibb Well-Known Member

Im moving my Plesk servers to Cpanel.

I have found something scary about Cpanel.

When you log into Cpanel it gives an certificate error just like most panels give. Plesk gives this too. Except Cpanel shows the hostname there like:
    host.domain.com

Plesk did showed a generic one.

That is not bad but very bad.

Even worst, inside the control panel Cpanel shows as income and outcome mail settings the hostname of the server again instead the domain of the user.

This is bad because i will be having resellers complaining about. I will not set up my servers with anonymous domains just because some resellers. I have always used my real net network domains. In Plesk it wasnt a problem since it doesnt display the hostname anywhere.

Also you can configure the mail settings fine with a domain on plesk. I guess its the same on Cpanel. Just like:

mail.domain.com
    or smtp.domain, pop3.domain.com and even only domain.com

Dont know about cpanel but if that is also possible why does Cpanel show to end clients the hostname instead?

hostname.domain.com in the email section instead of their domains?

This defeats the purpose of a reseller branding his interface.

I know that people can get to the real server just by looking at mail headers or any network info but i think displaying the hostname on the SSL certificated and even on the help guide inside the panel is ridiculous. That way even people that dont know anything about servers can see there is another domain there instead of his reseller domain.

If this something that can be bypassed? Is it a misconfig of me? I dont believe every host in the world uses pointless and anonymous domains for their servers.

#1 nibb, Apr 13, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  2. johnmigen

johnmigen Active Member

Hi,

Manage Service SSL Certificates will allow you to change service SSL domain name your users see.

3. nibb

nibb Well-Known Member

THANK !!!

Does it has to be a domain name? I suppose i have to generate the cert from Cpanel. Maybe i can like host.localhost.hosts

Thanks I never saw that option before but there it is to change all certs. Great !!! Once this is fixed i can say this is the perfect panel. So many options and thinks, best of all they all seem to work, not like on that crap plesk where you changed php setting and it broke the whole server. I just cross my finders and hope the transfer tool works well.