Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does cPanel require a primary domain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Emerson Felinto, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Emerson Felinto

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not that this is a problem with cPanel, but I'd really like to know the reason. This implies an extra step when the client is checking out my hosting because he has to inform the domain that he will use and this sometimes generates even confusion. So, why did the cPanel team decide to do this ?

2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, there has to be a domain name associated with a hosting account. How else do you use web hosting?

The notion of a "primary domain" is relatively new. cPanel existed a long time before addon domains and multi domain environments were so big.

However, the notion of the "primary domain" taking hold of the account's public_html folder, that's up for debate. There is a 5 year old feature request (although it is marked as planned... take that for what it's worth) that may be caught in feature request purgatory:

Main Domain to use a subfolder like addon domains

I think a better idea would be for cPanel to get away from using the public_html folder and instead use domain name based folders in the user's home directory with a public_html symlink symbolizing the "primary domain". This would allow more seamless transition of "primary domain" names if these are ever changed.

Although, I'm not exactly sure if this is at all what you are referring to, so see my first two sentences.

3. webhostuk

webhostuk Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    When you ask for website hosting space, for basic primary usage it all starts with a domain name, it's like the primary requirement nowadays, like when you contact a bank it will ask for your account no. we cannot say why you need account no.
    It's quit like identification code.

4. cPanelAdamF

cPanelAdamF cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    As a general statement, we ask ourselves this question internally as well. We would like to 'demote' the primary domain and instead just create the first Add-on domain for the end-user as a part of their account setup (likely with the inability to delete it).

Other commenters are correct, we do need at least one domain in order to perform cpanel-y functions...but there's nothing particularly special about that one domain.

5. cPanelAdamF

cPanelAdamF cPanel Product Owner
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    ...I should add that we've dreamed of merging "addon domains", "subdomains" and "aliases" into one Domain manager. Depending on what you specify, we'll just do the right thing®. These three concepts are so close to each other that they really don't need their own management interfaces.

Emerson Felinto likes this.
  6. Emerson Felinto

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is a great observation. I agree.