The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does inbox keep getting changed to user.user????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BianchiDude, Sep 9, 2005.

?

Has your or a customers inbox had its ownership mysteriously changed to user.user?

1. Yup

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Yes, but I have used other control panels and the same this happens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, never had it happen

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. What's an inbox file?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BianchiDude

BianchiDude Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

:mad: :mad: :mad: Why does inbox keep getting changed to user.user???? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Again I wake up this morning to no new messages, I check my inbox file on the server and sure enough its 0 bytes and has the ownership user.user

I am assuming this is a problem with cppop, has anyone else had this problem?

As long as I have used cpanel, I have had this problem, why hasn't this been fixed yet.

No error message, no bounce to the sender, nothing in the mail queue, cppop should at least flag an error letting me now there is a problem. Where is this email going???

By the time I realize the permissions are wrong I have already missed several important emails.

I know /scripts/mailperm fixes it but I haven't heard of having to do this with any other control panels?

Does this happen with all mail servers? Do AOL users have to call up Steve case and ask him to run /scripts/mailperm?

I have setup a cronjob to run /scripts/mailperm every minute does anyone know of a way to get it to run more often? Im not sure about everyone else but to me email is important!

#1 BianchiDude, Sep 9, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

It's true that the ownership of all files in /home/user/mail/ should be user:mail.

I can't imagine why this would be an issue with cppop - all cppop does, or indeed any pop server, is to read the contents of the relevant mail file. I can't see why it would want to change ownership of the files even if it had permission to do so.

What resolutions have you attempted? Your post gives the impression that this is not a particularly new concern. You really should raise this issue with cPanel support if you want a definitive fix.

3. BianchiDude

PartnerNOC

How strange, I just had another customer call with the same problem, so the problem is only on my servers and no one else that uses cpanel has ever come across that problem?

Whats the need for /scripts/mailperm then?

4. DigitalSurgeon

DigitalSurgeon Well-Known Member

Is there any fix for this issue discovered yet.I am also having the same problem.

5. BianchiDude

PartnerNOC

Ok good, Im glad im not the only one having this problem.

DigitalSurgeon, According to this bug the want everyone having that issue to send a ticket in and mention that bug number in the ticket.
    http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=3351