The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does the install take so long?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by roskopfj, Feb 20, 2005.

1. roskopfj

roskopfj Member

It takes like 3-4 hours to do a cpanel installation on my system, and it's a dual CPU 3ghz Xeon with 4 gigs of 800mhz RAM.

Any idea why it takes so long? The cpu usage spikes to 25% every now and again but is usally around 2%, memory usage is 1.3gb out of 4gb with no page file usage, and I've got plenty of internet bandwidth. The disk access light blinks for a second every minute or so, and I'm sure that's not the reason its taking so long...

Is there any way to give more priority to the cpanel installation process or something? I'm using the "latest" install at http://layer1.cpanel.net/latest

Edit:
    When I first kick off the installation it says this will take 10-70minutes based on your machine. It's been 4 hours now and it's been grinding away at the post install scripts and filling the screen with these things for 1 1/2.

Unfortunately I have to rebuild the server and redo the installation tomorrow.

#1 roskopfj, Feb 20, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2005
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There's nothing you can do about it. It's going to be down to memory/CPU and disk I/O for all the compilation and rpm work that it needs to do. A lot may depend on the packages you have installed before you add cPanel (i.e. ones installed that you shouldn't have, others that you should). Are you building on a standard Server installation of the OS or are you adding additional things during the OS install that you should not be? You should also make sure that you have updated your OS through whatever update tools it uses (up2date, yum, apt-get, etc) to the latest updates.