Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does the restore get stuck during a transfer tool process?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by spaceman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but seeing as I'm using the WHM transfer tool between two servers running CloudLinux...

We've been transferring a few sites in the last few days between two servers using the Transfer Tool.

We observe that, every time we run this, the restore process appears to get stuck (stop) at about the 23% mark. It "feels" like the process has failed. Others report the same:

Transfer Tool: Restore stuck (no change for 45 minutes)
    cPanel Transfer Tool Stuck..
    CPanel’s Transfer Tool

The log output at the time looks like this (see also the attached screenshot):

---------------------------
    Homedir
    Streaming Homedir from source server…
    receiving incremental file list
    rsync: symlink "/home/accsport/access-logs" -> "/usr/local/apache/domlogs/accsport" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync: symlink "/home/accsport/.cagefs/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432" -> "/var/run/postgres/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync: symlink "/home/accsport/.cagefs/tmp/mysql.sock" -> "/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock" failed: Permission denied (13)
    rsync: symlink "/home/accsport/.cphorde/meta/latest" -> "horde.backup.sql.20160814" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    …4 % …
    ---------------------------

In every case it's just about being patient (10-45 mins before it continues!).... even though you're slightly freaking out that it's failed. Any even though we're seeing these particular failure messages, my understanding and experience is that they're harmless, and can be safely ignored. It certainly doesn't seem to have negatively affected any sites that we've migrated.

So I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature? Certainly it causes a lot of concern, and therefore is only to improve the user experience, I think this should be looked at.

What do others think? Should I raise this as a bug report with cPanel?

Thanks,

Ross

Attached Files:

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

Those symlinks can be ignored. I guess those will create again according to the new environment. That does not seem to be a bug.
    Try using rsync to sync the data and you will see the same thing..

3. spaceman

I'm actually less concerned about those symlinks, and more concerned about the very long pause with no sign of the restore progressing above 23% (or 26%) for quite a long time.

So if it's pausing for a valid technical reason - great! And it would be great if additional output could be sent to the screen so that we can see that something is actually progressing/moving.

But it's pausing for so long in one place because of a bug - would be great to see that bug fixed.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Please feel free to open a ticket directly to cPanel Technical Support about this if you wish.

5. spaceman

Thanks, I've just opened a technical support ticket for this.

Infopro likes this.