The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why in the world have the same typos persisted in cPanel for years

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jols, Jun 8, 2007.

1. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Why in the world have the same typos persisted in cPanel for years, using the bluelagoon theme. These are extremely confusing for our customers who attempt to learn how to work their control panels, and cause numerous support requests. Example:

cPanel ---> Blackup link (in Site Management) ---> Generate/Download a Full Backup link ---> Backup destination ---> (TYPO) ---> Remove FTP server (passive mode transfer)

Our customers call us and ask if it is safe to REMOVE their FTP server?!?!

Another Example:

cPanel ---> Manage Addon Domains link ----> Setup Redirection button ---> (INCORRECT INSTRUCTION) ---> "If you wish to redirect to a file (example: http:///test.html -> http://redirecturl/test.html) be sure to end the URL with a trailing /.)"

Come on! Add a trailing slash? You try it! enter a URL in your browser that ends with somename.html and add a trailing slash after the "html".

On top of that, there are spelling errors. For example:

cPanel ---> BoxTrapper Spam Trap ---> (TEXT) "BoxTrapper protects your inbox from spam by forcing all people not on your white list to reply to a verifcation email before they can send mail to you."

The word "verifcation" is misspelled.

This kind of stuff doesn't exactly inspire confidence in our customers, nor in the cPanel publishers for that matter. What would this take to correct this? Just curious.

2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

The bluelagoon theme is deprecated and no longer maintained. It looks like all of those are solved in x3:

http://www.cpanel.net/products/cPanelandWHM/linux/try_cp_whm.htm

If there are any that were missed, design can have them shopped up in x3 by monday or sooner.

3. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Okay thanks. The new interface looks good, that's for sure.

And what happened to my other thread about v11 concerns and v10 security? Did I go too far OT. Say the wrong thing? It just vanished!

4. jols

jols Well-Known Member

This one is still there, it is an incorrect instruction that if followed would only cause errors (using your on-line 3x demo):

cPanel ---> Redirects (in the Domains sectioin) --->:

------------------------

Note:
    If you wish to redirect to a file (example: index.html http://redirecturl/test.html/) be sure to end the URL with a trailing / .

------------------------

Note: A trailing slash inserted after "html" in a URL will cause a browser error.

Thank you.

5. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Someone from design will fix this later today. It should be in builds by monday.

6. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

Ill tell you another typo thats been around for years.

cpsrvd when a service fails and it emails.

"The service was restarted automagicly"

7. Silver_2000

Silver_2000 Well-Known Member

Its not a typo - Its a word - I love the word - it says exactly what it means ... LOL

Webster will pick up the word eventually .. LOL

Seriously - I laughed when I saw that - I love it -

8. brendanrtg

brendanrtg Well-Known Member

I think the question here remains at:

IS CPANEL a USA company? Maybe they cannot access google translator or have no access to online dictionaries?

:D ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D ;)

Boy it makes my day!

9. brendanrtg

Maybe We did. I got 10+ posts deleted. Maybe I did not read teh rules of the forum that part where they say: You CAN ONLY sing priases for Cpanel and NOT question or complain about Cpanel? :D

10. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have no idea what is going on with that (sorry, but did inquire). However, your statement reminds me of that really tired, oft quoted phrase from the movie Fight Club.

Any way, automagcly is spelled incorrectly, it should be auto-magically :)

11. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not sure about the rules, but sometimes a poster can take a post too far past constructive criticism. Lately there have been a few as you know.

As for what happened, VB keeps logs on everything related to posts being removed. If someone removed it theres a log of it in the panel.

If I was to guess, you post a lot. The forums clock goes off sometimes and posts get out of place. Not sure if thats the case here and I'm not about to read all your old posts. But are you sure they were removed or just tossed around somewhere else?

All just guessing here. But the complaining can be damn annoying IMO. Looking for answers here (and helping if possible) is much easier on the eyes for us all.

As I understand it these forums are for admins to admins support. If you're an admin and can't get something working right, or you want to complain, I think cPanel has areas for that. I don't think the forums are that area though.

Me too! I use it often. :)

12. brendanrtg

Not really an issue, just annoying.

BTW, what happened to the conventionally AUTOMATICALLY?

13. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Its done quite on purpose .

14. brendanrtg

Okay, we are convinced. Is it in the Oxford Dictionary already?:D

15. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  16. brendanrtg

Wow! Its there!

17. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

yes cPanel is a USA company and you might want to change your signature to respect their trademarks. It is "cPanel" you know? not CPANEL, not Cpanel, not CPanel. It's cPanel. you should respect that the best you can please.
    http://www.cpanel.net/trademarkup.htm

18. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Keep an eye on this guy rpmws... :p

19. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm not worried about the typos that only our admins see. As long as the customer sees an error free, pro looking front end, we're fine. Everything else tends to reflect negatively on our company, and I am flatly amazed that the cPanel publishers would let faulty instructions and typos go for so very long, years in some cases. As brilliant as the cPanel system is, if it "looks" like it was just slapped together by some fly-by-nighters, then to many people, it is.

Yes, perception counts!

#19 jols, Jun 8, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  20. jols

jols Well-Known Member

As for what happened, VB keeps logs on everything related to posts being removed. If someone removed it theres a log of it in the panel.

This is certainly not what happened to me. Also if a post is moved, the older post does not just disappear. You will get the "bumped" note instead.

In retrospect, it was a sheer case of censorship for whatever reason. However, I am not too troubled by it.

One thing though, when a company puts up an open forum then they start deleting posts, it is usually an indication that they are in trouble and they've started to think that silly complaints like ours could actually effect sales. Now that DOES bother me to some degree.

Here's my best advice:
    If you're a company, and you put up a public forum regarding your product, you better know that not everyone is going to be happy all the time and people are just going to vent. Beyond questions of etiquette or what is constructive and what isn't, it is just going to happen, that's what people do.

The very best advice I ever received along these lines goes something like this, "Convert your loudest critic and turn them into your friend, then they will become your most vocal advocate."

Please ponder this Mr. Forum Admin the next time you consider deleting our posts.

Thank you.

#20 jols, Jun 8, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2007