The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is chkservd permanently down after "can't fork" errors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kent Brockman, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Kent Brockman

Kent Brockman Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi there people, I've noticed that when some intensive concurrent cron tasks are executing at the same time, normally once a day, the memory usage trends to skyrocket and finally generate a "can´t fork" error. (I have a vps w/784 MB RAM)

This makes usually fail the lfd daemon and it stays stopped until I manually start it again from the WHM panel. The problem is that chkservd also gets stuck and down and unable to monitor and restart any further failing service.

At WHM, the Service Manager shows everything ok and working, but i.e. lfd is down and stopped. May this be some bug in the chkservd daemon?
    What can I do to verify if its correctly working?

After the memory usage lower to a normal level, another functions like cron are working properly, so I wonder if adding some cron task that verify if chkservd is working or not and thus restart it would mitigate this problem, or even will cause an added tas load in the system.

I'm on WHM 11.15.0 cPanel 11.18.6-S24739
    CENTOS Enterprise 4.6 i686 on virtuozzo - WHM X v3.1.0

Best Regards!