The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is cPanel passing unrouted email?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by joehark, Feb 2, 2005.

1. joehark

joehark Member

I have configured the email on one of the domains I host, using cPanel, to :blackhole: all email addressed to non-valid email addresses. There are only three valid email addresses on this particular account.

Yet I just got a piece of spam addressed to a totally bogus account name - and it was forwarded to the earthlink account to which valid email is bounced.

That's two mysteries in one. Whay did it get past blackhole and why was it also forwarded?

Any idea what's wrong and how to fix it?

TIA

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You should be using :fail: not :blackhole: (for all the reasons that have been discussed in the past) which is probably the problem.

3. joehark

joehark Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that. But I'm curious . . .

What happens to email that is configured for :fail:? Is it bounced back to the esnder or is it simply dumped?

One reason I moved to cPanel is to escape the horrific problem of Plesk that simply bounces invalid email back to the phony spam source - which meant that each would then generate a second email saying that mail failed. The result was, when someone was bomibg my 60 domains with 5000 email an hour, the whole thing choked up. Plesk simply ognored questions about it and I know I am not alone in leaving for that reason.

Also, if it has been long established that :fail: is the right input, do you or anyone else know why does the interface still say it's :blackhole:?

Thanks for the help - and please don't misunderstand me - I'm not arguing the response - I'm just very curious to know more.

Regards, Joe

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member