The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is Cpanel restarting all instances of Mysql

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by Mr. Bob, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob Member

Can someone tell me why Cpanel restarts ALL instances of MySql on the server when issuing a restart command from WHM??

Shouldn't it only restart the MySql instance associated with Cpanel?

This is rather annoying. My other MySql instances are completely separated from each other, each running under separate users - the only thing linking them together is that they reside on the same server.

If anyone can shed light on this it'd be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

#1 Mr. Bob, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  2. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

the mysql restart given in WHM is for restarting the mysql service on the server itself, its same as doing a mysql restart from ssh.

it says "restart Services" not "instances"
    if you see a hung mysql process you should kill that particular from ssh or from whm-->Show Current CPU Usage.

3. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

You are clearly quite confused regarding MySQL ....

There is only ONE MySQL server and only one "instance" as you put it running on your server --- THERE IS NO OTHER!

You could not possibly be running more than one MySQL on the same server and that would be unreasonable to even consider that though you could have both MySQL and PostgreSQL together the same server but that's a different service.

What you are thinking of and incorrected referring to as "instances" is actually child process of your one single solitary running MySQL server.

When you issue a "restart" for MySQL whether that be from WHM or SSH or anywhere for that matter, you are telling the MySQL server itself to restart which means the database server and all it's sub process will go down temporary for the restart.

What you are talking about is something parallel to like trying to reboot your home computer and then complaining that your Excel spreadsheet goes down. Yes, it's going to do that. :D

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The current design of cPanel only allows for one installation of MySQL on the server. Issuing a restart of MySQL using cPanel's tools will cause all running MySQL services to be terminated. As for the starting part, cPanel will use the init script ( usually in /etc/init.d ) to start the service. If all your MySQL installations are using the same init script that could be a/the problem.

5. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob Member

No, I'm not confused. You can run multiple MySQL installations not instances on the same server. I have cPanel running under 5.0.89 and the other install is 5.1.46. Completely different binaries. In most cases, a separate MySQL installation is not worth the increased overhead but I need it for a site that runs on bleeding edge software, in addition to a very specialized configuration.

Thanks. I will look at the init script again.

#5 Mr. Bob, May 8, 2010
    Last edited: May 8, 2010