The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is cpanel so ugly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZaireWeb, Oct 28, 2004.

1. ZaireWeb

ZaireWeb Member

CPanel is ugly as shit.

Why?

Plesk is amazing, looks like they spend a little time doing some design. I mean, CPanel is ugly, WHM is worse, they make so called "ui improvements" but it still looks like crap. Why can't they spend a little time making something that just looks good?

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As they say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Don't agree with your characterization but just like a certain part of the anatomy, everyone has one - an opinion that is.

3. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Plus, there are plenty of thrid party themes you can get. I much prefer function over beauty especially on the backend (doesn't that sound rude! :D). The client side should be pleasing to the client to use, but like I said, you can get other themes to use.

4. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Nicely said!

5. s_2_s

s_2_s Well-Known Member

cpanel rulez its the greatest one out there plesk is just a theme huha huha

6. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

As long as cpanel works on adding/improving features, and making the code stable... i really could care less how cpanel looks... as long as its feature rich and stable.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, I have some affinity with the OP. I do find the user front-end pretty ugly and do wish they'd employ a graphics designer to have a decent front-end. X was great back when, but nowadays, form and functionality make for ease of use for the customer and fewer support requests for admins of the like "How do I do X Y Z". Yes, you can get third-party ones, but having a decent one with the product seems essential to me. At the moment it looks like it was designed by a programmer, not an artist that understands hows users like to navigate. Maybe cPanel 10 will get one?

8. ZaireWeb

ZaireWeb Member

I can get a cpanel server for $20 extra, or a plesk for $20 extra.

yeah, cpanel is great, functionality is fine... personally I think the way plesk handles things is much better than cpanel.

Second, yeah, im a programmer, yeah I work with a few artists. Just like sex sells, so do looks. If I didn't know plesk or cpanel, I would just choose plesk simply becuase of it's UI.

I mean, I love cpanel, but the way cpanel looks, and the comments I get from people about how ugly cpanel is, it makes me want to switch my server over.

Shit, do an intern for some college graphics artist... you can find good ones :p

9. mastermind2004

I played around with the demo of Plesk on their servers for about 5 minutes and gave up. I couldn't figure out how to do anything, but I guess having spent 6 months to a year with cPanel will do that. I personally have no problem at all with cPanel. WHM could use a makeover, or at least a bit better organization, but that's life.