Why is everything logged in /usr/local/apache/logs/access_log

santrix

Nov 30, 2008
This may be NginX related (specifically CPNginX). I notice that apache access_log contains all requests including those that /usr/local/cpanel/bin/splitlogs sends to the domlogs. The splitlogs documentation seems to suggest that only requests without a vhost header and those against the main host name should wind up in the access_log, but across our whole network I see everything getting dumped in there. The logging to domlogs appears to work correctly.

The only reason I ask is that if this behaviour is normal then it would be so much more handy if the vhost got logged in access_log too! because currently it doesn't which seems pretty pointless from a log analysis point of view.

cPanelMichael

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
Hello :)

I believe this is likely the result of using Nginx. The contents of the Apache domain access logs and /usr/local/apache/logs/access_log are not the same on a test machine running Apache.

Thank you.

santrix

Nov 30, 2008
Thank you Michael, for confirming my suspicions. I simply haven't had the time to setup a machine without nginx to test this, but thank you all the same for taking the time to reply.

JamesOakley

Apr 15, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hmm

I'm not so sure it's to do with nginx.

I'm running Apache 2.4, built with EasyApache.

If I enable piped logging in Apache, everything goes to the access_log. If I disable it, it goes to the domlogs entries for the appropriate virtual host

If I restart Apache, those entries are then cleared out of the access_log and moved into the relevant domlogs file.

I'm still testing to find out how long I would have to wait before this batching would happen by itself, without restarting Apache. I've already waited longer than I want to wait - in terms of how current I need the domlogs folder to be.