The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is login@domain.com required all the sudden for email?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Jeff75, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

For the past couple years my clients have been able to send/receive email by just entering login as the login in their email client. Now all the sudden the only way they can check mail is by entering login@domain.com? Can soemone tell me why this is happening? Each account has it's own IP address. I know someone may say something like it was broken before and now it's fixed. The way I see it it's broken and going to be a pain to get them to change it. After all, you don't have to put login@domain.com as the username when connecting via FTP. The login should just be login and not have @domain.com with it since that's already specified as the domain name.

If someone can tell me how to fix this I would appreciate it. My clients are really ticked off and I'm stumped as to why it's not accepting just login as the username anymore.

2. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

The login has required the full email address for a year or so now. It is required because the server does not care what domain they login through on the server or IP as long as it is on the server.

3. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

Somehow even thought I've been regularly upgrading cPanel the past year my server has been allowing logins with just the username until today. Each account on the server has it's own IP address which may be why it's allowed this. See this post also: http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=29535&highlight=login+email

Can you tell me how to change it so it will just require their login? Otherwise I'm going to receive a ton of emails over the next day or so from all my clients asking what's going on,

Here's one that I just received that I have no idea how to answer because I don't even know why myself:

4. jdonoso

jdonoso Well-Known Member

Possible answer for your customer:

"Dear client,

We are aware of this issue, and it is due to a recent implementation integrated by Cpanel which requires all login usernames to be entered in the form 'usename@domain.com'.

Sorry for any inconvienence this might just caused you, and we are currently in the process of communicating our customers of this particular issue.

Regards, "

There you go, oh and by the way, don't take it the wrong way, but it do seems like you somehow neglected your servers a little bit, since this is a RATHER OLD feature and there is no way you haven't noticed until today

Best regards,

#4 jdonoso, Nov 29, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  5. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply. I am 100% certain that my server has not required logins (plus @domain.com) until today. I assure you I haven't neglected my servers. I even just opened my PowerBook which I only use when travelling (been 2 months since I last used it) and it just has my login and it worked fine last time I used it.

Maybe since most people use shared IPs this has been a common thing, but I give each customer a static IP so maybe that's why it's worked all along then something just got screwed up today while fixing another issue with syslogd.

6. jdonoso

jdonoso Well-Known Member

Uhm, I also have clients to which I give static ip's and they still require the full email to login, since almost a year now. So there isn't a difference about they having a shared or unique ip (all ip's for hosting servers ARE by definition static, unless you host on a dialup connection ;)).

On the other hand, and just curious, the default address is the only one that allows direct login without entering the whole e-mail address as a username. Would that be the case with you? I wouldn't think so, but maybe it was worth to ask. :D

Best,

#6 jdonoso, Nov 29, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  7. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Even with my setup, the default account doesn't require the full email address, but any POP account has required the full address for a while.

8. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I dont' know what the deal is but mine has worked fine with just the login until today. I've verified this in several different computers and I just had the login name and not the @domain.com. They were all for accounts other than the default account.