The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is nobody interested in encrypted backups?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by lorio, May 29, 2015.

1. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Since 2009 I follow the forum and feature discussions about backups and encryption.

To encrypt archives via e.g gnupg key is never discussed or asked for as a feature.

I perhaps shouldn't be surprised when till today the transfer via FTP is only implemented in a plain, unencrypted way. No signs that TLS will ever be added to backup destinations.

There was a time where FTP inside the datacenter was done in a unencrypted way without any concerns. These times are gone.

https://features.cpanel.net/topic/remote-backup-via-ssl-and-with-encrypted-archives

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Have you considered using the SFTP option for backups to remote destinations as an alternative? It's available for backups to remote destinations.

Thank you.

3. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If cpanel would add a SSH without shell user management I would think about using SFTP as a destination. To add and maintain users for storage only is not that comfortable via commandline. At least if you want to restrict and manage many user/destinations.

I still find it disturbing that FTP/TLS is no a backup destination and that there is no feature to encrypt backups with a public key before transfer them to different destinations. It seems to me that the backup feature is not used in many installations and that third party tools are used.

The blog post Backup Improvements for cPanel & WHM | cPanel Blog
    contained the following lines:

[/LIST]

Still wonder what is cool about the the sentence "Security is a concern as the backup is not encrypted."

#3 lorio, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015