The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why isnt spam assasin more configurable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fujiwara takumi, Mar 4, 2004.

1. fujiwara takumi

fujiwara takumi Active Member

is there a way to make spam assasin configurable for each client? my customers would be much happier if they thought they had more control over what they received. is there either a way for them to make more custom changes or a better client i can drop in its place?

spam is my no.1 complaint, no 2 is the pop3 server freezing up and requiring a manual restart by me...which i assume is caused by spam.

2. raventec

raventec Well-Known Member

But it would be handy to have a few more options for them such as being able to delete mail marked as spam for example if they choose to via CP.

3. raventec

that might work, for me but that's more of a patch. why there's not a delete mail option is beyond me. seems that it would be self evident that that would be a good idea to have as an option. with some of my clients it's a major accomplishment when they figure out how to setup their pop mail. i'd hate to overwhelm them ;)
    The idea is to make it easier on the client not more complicated... isn't it?

4. raventec

Let me guess, you are fond of Horde? LOL
    These really are good options. Horde is a nice product but a bit complicated for some of the users (I have no idea why this is) I'll probably start using Horde myself now that I just noticed it works. (didn't on several boxes in the past for me) Spam box works but that's twice as many accounts for a client to setup in their outlook express. I'd suspect most wouldn't and then just wait till the box got full and then complain. (some clients have mastered that skill sometimes when there isn't even a problem lol)
    It would still be nice to have some more basic options for Assasin.
    I read about the catch 22 problems with the boxtrapper as well but look forward to this when the challenges are worked out.

5. raventec

On second thought, I don't think i'll be using Horde. and disabling it. I like my POP too much and there's no way i'm going to try and explain to someone how to use Horde.
    I'll probably start fiddling around and make an interface over the next few months to make spamassasin have some options.

6. raventec

That's what I suggest to clients. It seems to be the most painless and straight forward way.
    Myself and webmasters that get paid for their services can take the time to understand more complex methods such as exim filters etc. Things like the church groups I host and that sort of thing for example, would be really nice to be able to make things easier on.

7. raventec

My father (bless his older than dirt heart) has been thinking that for months. It's really not a bad idea short of Gov. getting involved in more stuff. a fraction of a penny per email. Would limmit their campaign's quite a bit.
    Webhosts should get the money since they're footing the bill for all the crap. ;)
    Then we'd all just get on as many lists as possible. wouldn't need clients anymore lol

8. raventec

9. fujiwara takumi

fujiwara takumi Active Member

omg, in a world where people call their bank without a checkbook handy theyre supposed to remember an IP. id like to see that, LOL!

10. raventec

Quite simple, just charge a service fee and they would remember :D