The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why MPM ITK recommended?

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by vision1234, Sep 7, 2016.

1. vision1234

vision1234 Registered

May 24, 2016
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

We operate with Cloudlinux 7.2 and configuring EA4. We often work with Shopware, which is a onlineshop software from Germany. So I read their performance guide:

In other words, in EA I can choose between MPM Prefork and MPM Prefork + MPM ITK (module) as described in cPanel documentation:

Now I just have a few questions:

1) Why do you recommend to use MPM ITK when using Cloudlinux? Because in all benchmarks I found, it's much slower than MPM prefork. What is the technical reason? (not for being slower; for choosing MPM ITK)

2) I already enabled CageFS. As I read a big plus of MPM ITK is the separating of the vhosts directly in Apache, while CageFS creates a virtualized file system and cages scripts done by apache. But is it necessary to use both techniques? How do they work together?

3) Choosing MPM ITK, in cPanel CGI (not FastCGI) is the only available handler, right?

4) Cause I'm using CGI instead of suPHP it's fully compatible to OPCache and APC, right?

Thanks in advance!
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

The document you have referenced is now updated for EasyApache 4, and no longer includes that recommendation:

Multi-Processing Modules - MPMs - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation

You shouldn't have to use both options, but the two are compatible based on the information at:

CloudLinux Documentation

Yes, that is correct. This is documented at:

Apache Module: MPM ITK - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation

Opcode caching programs are not compatible with the suPHP or CGI PHP handlers. The caching program either does not function, or functions incorrectly. This is documented at:

PHP Options - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.