Why not quotas on backup disk? is there a way to enable quotas?

tui

Jun 15, 2007
Mexico
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
On my server i used to have the main disk (a 256gb disk) everything worked fine until yesterday that i add a second disk (a 512gb drive) in order to move some large accounts to it because is almost full, also i changed the backup directory (incremental, not retain backups) to this new drive, the problem is that the drive now refuses to enable quotas because the backup directory is in there, quotas are important and i cant buy another drive for backups only

why is not possible to enable quotas on the second disk when i configure the backup directory there but possible when backup directory is on the main disk? this have no sense to me

is there any way to enable quotas on the second disk and have the backup directory on there too?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! When quotas are enabled on the same disk as the backup it drastically affects performance and can seriously slow down the server. You'll see this noted in our Backup Configuration documentation here:

"To prevent performance degradation, the system automatically disables quotas on non-root filesystems that contain a backup destination."

tui

Jun 15, 2007
Mexico
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! When quotas are enabled on the same disk as the backup it drastically affects performance and can seriously slow down the server. You'll see this noted in our Backup Configuration documentation here:

"To prevent performance degradation, the system automatically disables quotas on non-root filesystems that contain a backup destination."
I already read that, what i dont understand is why when i have one disk only it can handle OS, CPANEL, WEBSERVERS AND APPS, ACCOUNTS, QUOTA and BACKUP, its more work to the disk, and why if i want to have a 2nd disk it cant handle quotas and backups, it is not reasonable

is there a way to allow quotas and backup? i have nvme disks i dont think it can slow down the server if it doesnt do with a simple disk that handles all other things at once

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
That's actually a really good question, and one I didn't find an answer to in our system. I've reached out to some of the developers that work on the backup system to see if they can get me more details, and I'll post an answer as soon as I hear back. Since it's Friday now, it might not be until Monday or Tuesday before I have something more official.

Reactions: tui

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I heard back from the developers on the backup team, and the best answer they had is that it was a decision made at the time the current backup system was built. I'm actually not sure there *is* a specific reason this needs to be in place with modern hardware.

Our team is working on creating an option that would allow you to skip this check so quotas could be created on any mount point, although it's so early on I don't even have a case number to provide at this time. I'll be sure to post to this thread again once I hear more details.

tui

Jun 15, 2007
Mexico
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I heard back from the developers on the backup team, and the best answer they had is that it was a decision made at the time the current backup system was built. I'm actually not sure there *is* a specific reason this needs to be in place with modern hardware.

Our team is working on creating an option that would allow you to skip this check so quotas could be created on any mount point, although it's so early on I don't even have a case number to provide at this time. I'll be sure to post to this thread again once I hear more details.
Ok, thanks for the update... is there any way to bypass this?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
There isn't an official workaround to bypass this at this time. Messing with both backups and quotas at once can have major repercussions, so even if I had a hack-around (which I don't) I'd be hesitant to post it on the forums.