The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why there's no LogOut from WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pats, Jul 13, 2003.

1. pats

pats Well-Known Member

I like to click on that KickOut button before closing any program, but WHM don't have any.

Can anyone create nice LogOut buttons and passit to Nick so that he can put it on top somewhere :)

on side note: i think LogOut should be there for flushing the sessions etc. for a little more secured approach.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. mmkassem

mmkassem Well-Known Member

It won't work because its HTTP Auth.
    username and password will be stored until you close your browser and re open it.

3. MySundown

MySundown Well-Known Member

Yep, the "logout" link in cpanel doesn't truly log you out. It just tricks your browser into thinking that the realm has changed, so it'll prompt you for a username and password if you try to access it again. It doesn't work on some browsers/os configurations. Just close your browser window, that way you are really logged out. There's nothing to worry about once that window is closed. Once you try accessing it again, your browser won't know your username or password. Unless you have your browser set to remember passwords... but that's your own choice.

4. pats

pats Well-Known Member

Any other ideas how to do this logout thingy in WHM? other than Logout -> window.close :)

I remember other Panel have session timeout also after some time of inactivity, which is also good idea. (though again is not HTTP Auth, like WHM)

So shouldn't WHM's authentication menthod should change? so that it can take care of this small security things?

5. mmkassem

mmkassem Well-Known Member

No other solution currently.

Changing WHM/Cpanel + Webmail (all cpanel ports) authentication .. hmm .. I think that's hard and will require a lot of modification. May be Cpanel 10

This will also change the Auto Create scripts, it will change everything dealing with Authentication.

I do not see that it is a security problem.

You should be the only person using your OS username since you login until you log out.

#5 mmkassem, Jul 14, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2003