The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wierd SMTP problems

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Vital, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Vital

Vital Active Member

Nov 17, 2001

To sum up all the talks here about wierd things happening with SMTP after *something* happened (probably update to the 8.8-stable), i've opened this thread. I think we need to join our forces, and moreover, i'd like to hear some response from CPanel staff. ;)

What's happening: sending mail through conventional SMTP using CPanel box running 8.8.0-S74, something around 25% of it goes through connection, rest fails.

Failure message: "!07/02/2004, 17:55:00: SEND - Server reports error. The response is: r message, ending with "." on a line by itself"

Sometimes it's just "server is not ready" or something like that. Nothing useful in the logs, just "loosing connection from".

POP before SMTP is on and working.
    Server load is ~40%.
    DNS resolving for the sending host and target host works.
    /etc/resolv.conf is OK.
    MailScanner is not installed (however the other box with MS installed has the same problem).

Sometimes using TLS SMTP works fast as hell (usual SMTP "thinks" slllllooooowww.., then timeouts or gives an error described above), sometimes it does nothing.

What's even more wierd - incoming smtp from other servers works OK, people are receiving their mail, but they cannot send, which is what i completely cannot understand. Telnetting to the box and sending mail manually works OK too. %/

Even tried to remove exim to hell, uninstalled rpm and deleted all files, and reinstalled it with /scripts/reseteximtodefaults. Same story.

Now the question itself: what the hell, and how to fix it? Being an IT admin for nearly 5 years now, i'm at a loss here.
    #1 Vital, Feb 9, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2004