The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wild card email default

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by woalamore, Dec 17, 2010.

1. woalamore

woalamore Registered

My client wants to be able to create bogus email accounts (accounts not already created in cpanel) for web sites yet have replies to her forwarded to her email. She knows the risks involved with SPAM, viruses, etc yet wants to be able to create multiple email accounts @herdomain.org -- wild card email addresses forwarded back to her legitimate address. How do I change the cpanel settings?
    I noticed there was a place to either send error messages back to mail with bogus addresses or a php script -- no other choice such as a forward email. Is there a script that forwards the email to a known address?
    Client is panicked -- has subscriptions to all kinds of medical web sites to help her daughter who has cancer and uses the bogus emails to track whether they are selling her email addresses in addition to track other web sites.
    Thanks for any help.

2. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Wilcard email acceptance is a standard cpanel feature - just check a little more carefully in the mail account and domain alias pages and you'll see it there in cPanel, no scripts are needed. I have used this myself for years for exactly the same reason. Additionally gmail and others will allow you to add a subaddress modifier after a + sign - eg: heraddress+somedodgy_email_list@gmail.com(it may not be exactly like that, but similar).

I don't think cpanel currently allows the + modifier for subaddresses.

3. woalamore

woalamore Registered

Thank you for your help yet I have combed the cpanel settings and found only 2 options -- an error message or a php script. Please tell me where you found the place to allow wild card emails.
    It would be MOST appreciated -- have a gone weekend.
    Bette

4. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    A "wildcard" or catch-all e-mail address is setup via the Default Address page in the E-mail section within cPanel; here is the navigational menu path with linked documentation: cPanel: Mail >> Default Address

Additionally, standard e-mail forwarders can be setup via cPanel; I recommend using a standard e-mail forwarder instead of a catch-all so as to reduce the likelihood for abuse from spammers. Here is the cPanel menu path where e-mail forwarders can be managed: cPanel: Mail >> Forwarders

Related menu path for mass-import of e-mail accounts and e-mail forwarders: cPanel: Mail >> Import Addresses/Forwarders