The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildcard Domains and Name Servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mysteerie, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Mysteerie

Mysteerie Well-Known Member

Just a question of curiosity and before you ask; I am not a domain squatter (i.e. I don’t have thousand and thousand of domains). Though I do have a good amount of domains that I am not doing anything with because I register the domains to start new projects (that never get started, sigh)…

Anyways, is it possible to point the name servers of a mydomainexample.com to ns1.mymaindomain.com and ns2.mymaindomain.com and without actually parking it or creating a zone file / httpd.conf entry, have it redirect to my mainmaindomain.com?

(i.e. can I create a zone like *.* or virtual host *.* and have anything that isn’t in the config files all point to my maindomain.com)?

Hopefully, my post makes sense. If it is possible, please list a way on how to set it up as well. Thank you.

2. hostserve

hostserve Well-Known Member

Did you ever find a solution for this..?? If so, what was the answer?

3. simonpearce

simonpearce Well-Known Member

I'd also like to know this ;) Anyone?!

4. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

there is a way with bind of setting up what effectively is a 'wildcard' dns zone, but this will cause you all sorts of problems due to the fact all non-local domain queries will be returned as the local server