The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildcard SSL problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alpiroom, Oct 2, 2007.

1. alpiroom

alpiroom Registered

hi,
    my server using cPanel Build 10.9.0-STABLE 119 Theme cPanel X v2.6.0
    and Apache version 1.3.37 (Unix)
    and i buy wildcard SSL from godaddy. in my cpanel
    ssl manager > Certificate Signing Requests (CSR) menu i am generating csr but godaddy didnt like my csr and error is " when generating a csr for a wildcard certificate, please add asteriks (*) on the left side of the common name (e.g. "*.domainnamegoes.com") " but in cpanel csr menu havent got any domain naim input it have got only domain name option menu (drop down menu) what can i do
    please help me :confused:

2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You'll need to park *.domain.com first or generate the crt in whm.

3. alpiroom

alpiroom Registered

hi,
    how can *.domainname.com
    cpanel giving thid error
    "Error from park wrapper: The domain you have specified does not conform to domain name rules"

4. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Sorry about that.. I should have said 'subdomain'.

5. alpiroom

alpiroom Registered

i tryed but i took this error
    "Error from domain wrapper: .crmbrc.com could not be modified because it does not resolve to a valid IP address. Please ask the system admin to check their resolv.conf and their dns trust relationship Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure!"

i am thinking i must do differnt think.

6. searchenginepro

searchenginepro Registered

Wildcard SSL Issue

I am having an issue with https working properly on my subdomains.

I know I have purchased and installed *.wildcard.com correctly, but when I enter an https://subdomain.domain.com it displays the index page for https://domain.com

I generated SSL for *.domain.com as outlined in several other forums, but installed in WHM as domain.com and then applied same crt / key to subdomain.domain.com - Everything applies fine with no errors, but index page for each subdomain will not display.

7. skina

skina Member

I am getting the same problems as searchenginepro, any ideas?

8. Polyack

Polyack Member

Did you purchase the following domain: *.mydomain.com ?
    Or did you purchase a a wildcard certificate for the following domain: *.mydomain.com?

In case you're trying to make a wildcard certificate manually, I'm experiencing the same issue.

This seems to be an issue with WHM 11.

The following thread states this problem. In that thread they also mention that the hosting provider had to do some "manual changes". I'm wondering what these changes are. Anyone knows?
    Any alternative workarounds that don't require unique accounts and IPs?

"Ref: http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=135507

Yes that is weird. Jag support have been in touch with cPanel support and have now reached the conclusion that the only way to get a wildcard certificate working is to create the 'subdomains' as stand-alone accounts (so they aren't subdomains at all), dedicate an IP to each, manually create the entry and then rebuild Apache. That's convenient then.

It is now working, but support had to make changes manually. We no longer have subdomains, however - each 'subdomain' has to have it's own account and dedicated IP. Below is support's 'how to' guide:

Copy the file for one of already installed certs e.g. in this case I copied file '/var/cpanel/userdata/myusername1/mysubdomain1.mydomain.net_SSL' to '/var/cpanel/userdata/myusername2/' .

/var/cpanel/userdata/ is the path where each account has a folder with its apache and cpanel configuration files. The _SSL file is the one which contains the entries for ssl vhost for any domain.

Rename that according to subdomain i.e. in this case rename '/var/cpanel/userdata/myusername2/mysubdomain1.mydomain.net_SSL' to '/var/cpanel/userdata/myusername2/mysubdomain2.mydomain.net_SSL'.

Edit the file '/var/cpanel/userdata/myusername2/mysubdomain2.mydomain.net_SSL' and update user name to myusername2 where there is old username and update IP, viewing this file will clear any confusion.

Run : /usr/local/cpanel/bin/build_apache_conf
    to rebuild apache configuration from the newly created file.

Then restart apache to make it load newly built configuration."

9. Polyack

Polyack Member

How to install and create Wildcard SSL Certificates in/for WHM11?

I'm experiencing issues when creating Wildcard SSL Certificates on my VPS. The VPS runs WHM 11.

I've heard that it can't be done using the WHM-GUI and must be done using the command-line.

However there are still some issues appearing after creating the
    the Certificate in the SSH-commandline.

The following thread states this problem. In that thread they also mention that the hosting provider had to do some "manual changes". I'm wondering what these changes are, since I have to apply this changes as well. Anyone knows?
    Any alternative workarounds that don't require unique accounts and IPs?
    "Ref: http://www.jaguarpc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=135507

Yes that is weird. Jag support have been in touch with cPanel support and have now reached the conclusion that the only way to get a wildcard certificate working is to create the 'subdomains' as stand-alone accounts (so they aren't subdomains at all), dedicate an IP to each, manually create the entry and then rebuild Apache. That's convenient then.

It is now working, but support had to make changes manually. We no longer have subdomains, however - each 'subdomain' has to have it's own account and dedicated IP. Below is support's 'how to' guide:

Copy the file for one of already installed certs e.g. in this case I copied file '/var/cpanel/userdata/myusername1/mysubdomain1.mydomain.net_SSL' to '/var/cpanel/userdata/myusername2/' .

/var/cpanel/userdata/ is the path where each account has a folder with its apache and cpanel configuration files. The _SSL file is the one which contains the entries for ssl vhost for any domain.

Rename that according to subdomain i.e. in this case rename '/var/cpanel/userdata/myusername2/mysubdomain1.mydomain.net_SSL' to '/var/cpanel/userdata/myusername2/mysubdomain2.mydomain.net_SSL'.

Edit the file '/var/cpanel/userdata/myusername2/mysubdomain2.mydomain.net_SSL' and update user name to myusername2 where there is old username and update IP, viewing this file will clear any confusion.

Run : /usr/local/cpanel/bin/build_apache_conf
    to rebuild apache configuration from the newly created file.

Then restart apache to make it load newly built configuration."

10. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

Please update cPanel. You can add *.domain.com certs without adding a wildcard subdomain in the latest versions:

Stable 24255
    2008-05-09 11:08:03

Fixes
    Allow installation of wildcard SSL certs onto matching non-wildcard virtualhosts

Current 24083
    2008-05-06 06:24:35

Allow installation of wildcard SSL certs onto matching non-wildcard virtualhosts

11. jdlightsey

jdlightsey Perl Developer III
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As Dave said, installing a wildcard cert on a non-wildcard subdomain was recently addressed.

If you're wanting to install two subdomains using the same cert though, you will run into the problem of cPanel/WHM only allowing a single SSL VirtualHost per IP address. I believe that's what JPC was working around with those extensive changes.

You can accomplish the same thing in a much easier fashion by creating a SSL wildcard subdomain *.domain.com and using mod_rewrite to serve files from the correct subdirectory based on the subdomain name.

12. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Note: Threads Merged

13. Polyack

Polyack Member

If I understand correctly, does this mean that using that method will remove the need of a unique account and IP for every subdomain that are to be protected by the wildcard SSL certificate?

Do you have an example of some mod_rewrite code that you can confirm works?

14. brondsem

brondsem Registered

I am running WHM 11.15.0 cPanel 11.18.6-R24654 but I'm getting this error, too. In WHM, I go to "Install a SSL Certificate and Setup the Domain", paste in my cert, change the domain to "sample.cornerstone.edu", and set the IP address, but it gives me this error:

15. jdlightsey

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a *.lolkitten.cat subdomain with a wildcard SSL cert and a document root of /home/lolkitte/public_html

I have aaba.lolkitten.cat subdomain with a document root of /home/lolkitte/public_html/aaba

So I want the https://www.lolkitten.cat to go to /home/lolkitte/public_html and https://aaba.lolkitten.cat to go to /home/lolkitte/public_html/aaba

I can accomplish that with these mod_rewrite rules in /home/lolkitte/public_html/.htaccess

RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} ^443$
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^aaba\.lolkitten\.cat$ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/aaba/
    RewriteRule ^(.*) /aaba/$1

16. Polyack

Polyack Member

Thank you very much "jdlightsey"!

I'm wondering if wildcard certificates can be made using the "SSL Certificate creation wizard" builtin WHM version 11.23? If it's not
    then I simply create the certificate using the command-line, but it would be nice to know if it's supported as well.

17. Polyack

Polyack Member

I think you should try updating WHM.

18. brondsem

brondsem Registered

Thanks for the suggestion, Polyack, but I updated just a few days ago and am running 24654 which is greater than 24255 which supposedly included the fix.

19. jdlightsey

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Polyack: The SSL certificate request tool in WebHost Manager should let you generate wildcard certificates.

Brondsem: The changelog entry mentioned earlier in this thread for stable was an error. The fix wasn't backported into 11.18.6, so you'll need to be running 11.23.1 which is CURRENT or EDGE.

http://layer1.cpanel.net/

20. brondsem

brondsem Registered

Thanks for letting me know! That helps a lot, I am up and running with my subdomains. One note, though: it doesn't think "www.cornerstone.edu" matches the *.cornerstone.edu certificate.

Thanks again