The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildcard SSL

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dinek, Feb 25, 2004.

1. dinek

dinek Member

Hi,

I have a question concerning wildcard SSL certs. If I buy a cert for domain.com will the cert work on all subdomains even if these subdomains are on different servers and have different IPs?

Thanks. Dino.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Since a certificate is not (normally) tied to an IP address, then it certainly ought to. You'd obviously have to install the certificate on each server that wants to use *.yourdomain.com

Why not email the sales people at the certificate provider you're looking at and ask them, just to be sure.

3. dinek

dinek Member

Thanks for your view... I though so as well.

Will email the cert people as you suggest :)
    Best. Dino.

4. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

As long as the domain for the wild card is on the server you are adding sub-domains for it will work. As these will need to be added under the SSL directive in Apaches httpd.conf . All sub-domains under the TLD will also require there own IP address.

5. dinek

dinek Member

Thanks for the info, but can you clarify me on the folllowing. Supposing I have a dedicated server with a domain dinek.com and a wildcard SSL for that domain and:
    1. I create a subdomain cool.dinek.com hence I will need another IP for that. Yes?
    2. I buy another dedicated server and set it up as server2.dinek.com will I be able to use the same cert?

Thanks. Dino.

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Dino,

Yes, to both. Each domain needs a separate IP address. www.mydomain.com and ww2.mydomain.com are 2 different domains.

7. easyhoster1

Correct

No, as the domain already exsist on the other server, under a seprate DNS zone and the CRT is compiled for the wildcard TLD domain ...(*domain.com).

We own four wild card certs and the domain must exist on the server before you can create any sub-domains.

Hope this helps.

#7 easyhoster1, Feb 25, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2004
  8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Huh, well slap me with a fish, I thought you would be able to use it on separate servers with different domains under the same TLD. Sorry for the mis-information.

9. dinek

dinek Member

Another question toclarify further.

1. I have a server with a domain dinek.com
    2. I buy a second Cpanel server and want to create an account with a subdomain ssl.dinek.com do I need to buy another wildcard sert or just installing the same cert as on server one will be enough?

Thanks again... :)
    D.

10. easyhoster1

You can edit the DNS to point to the second server where
    ssl.dinek.com exsist. However, I`m not sure abouth the SSL, as we keep all ours under each server, but something tells me this may be needed or you may need to purchase a seperate CRT for www.ssl.dinek.com

But, if your going to purchase a wildcard cert, why would you want them to go to a second server...Just wondering?

11. dinek

dinek Member

As i Have talked with a sales rep of a Cert Authority a wildcard SSL cert is per server (single physical server). Hence I would need another SSL Cert for an additional server. Also as you have said before every subdomain needs a unique IP number.

As to why would I the cert to work on another server I was wondering if I wanted SSL email authentication on the second server I would need to buy another cert I thought that maybe you could save some money :)

Oh another question.... you're gonna be sick of me :).... If my cpanel hostname is alfa.dinek.com and I wanted to install a cert for my email server (not webmail) i would either need to buy a cert for alfa.dinek.com or a wildcard cert for dinek.com yes??
    Thanks. Dino.