The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildcard SSL

Discussion in 'Security' started by Kishan, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Kishan

Kishan Member

Would this setup work?

- Wildcardd SSL

SSL: hostname.mydomain.com:2087/2083
    But can i also use the SSL for subdomains on mydomain.com

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, it should work if properly setup, although you'll have to make some configuration changes when installing it for the subdomains and for the service certificate.

3. Kishan

Kishan Member

Is it possible for cPanel support to do it for me?

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Kishan,

We could help you with it, but is there a reason you cannot try first to do it and then ask questions after you've tried?

Here's a thread on how to perform the installation on the individual subdomains after you've installed the main wildcard SSL onto the nobody user in WHM > SSL/TLS > Install a SSL Certificate and Setup the Domain area:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f34/ssl-ce...across-different-hosts-169030.html#post701022

If you have questions, feel free to ask them here. If you reach an impasse and do need to open up a ticket, please post the ticket number here. I do highly suggest trying to do this first so you understand how these work, since unless you understand how these work, you won't be able to add the SSL onto new subdomains that need it, and we cannot install it every time you create a new subdomain that requires the wildcard SSL on it.

Thanks!

5. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I never tried to obtain a wildcard cert assigned to a subdomain, such as *.hostname.mydomain.com.

But if you are saying that you purchased a legitimate Wildcard SSL tied to hostname.mydomain.com and any subdomains under *.hostname.mysubdomain.com, then you would not be able to use it for *.mydomain.com domains. You'd only be able to use it for *.hostname.mydomain.com.

I say this because it sounds like you are saying that you obtained a wildcard SSL for hostname.mydomain.com and that you want to use that wildcard on *.mydomain.com.

Please ignore if wildcard SSLs are always applied to the primary domainname [i.e. mydomain.com].

M