The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildcard SSLs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JustinArdoin, Mar 28, 2011.

1. JustinArdoin

JustinArdoin Member
    PartnerNOC

Hi all,

I have noticed several threads about Wildcard SSLs, but none really cover (in any sort of depth) what I am trying to accomplish. Basically what I am trying to do is have a wildcard SSL that will secure subdomains, but also load the subdomains securely as it would over http. So basically if somebody enters green.domain.tld, it should load the same folder over nonsecure as it does over secure. I am at a loss as to how to accomplish this. Right now I have a wildcard subdomain in so I could install the cert at all. The issue is that all subdomains redirect back to public_html. Please advise on the for real proper way to install this. All cpanel docs I have looked at fail to outline the method to do this. If there are cpanel docs describing this exact situation I have not found them via browsing - exact links to relevant documents would be cool. Anybody else run into this and worked it out? I mean I am assuming cpanel can just do this like directadmin can. Thanks!

2. JustinArdoin

JustinArdoin Member
    PartnerNOC

I would like to elaborate a bit here - manually editing httpd configuration files is unacceptable. These are independent users who are just hosting on the server. If they add a subdomain I need it to be covered by the already installed wildcard SSL, and not be waiting on somebody with root or whm access to do further configurations. Thanks!

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So you want all subdomains on a set domain created on the machine to automatically enable the wildcard SSL at that time, which would require a script to accomplish? If that is the case, you would want this to go to the developer's center for the post instead, since we are talking about coding something to accomplish the task. Once you confirm that is your intention, then I will move the thread to that location.

4. JustinArdoin

JustinArdoin Member
    PartnerNOC

I would settle for knowing if its just a built in feature or not. If I have to work out my own method that's fine. I just thought it would be best to confirm if there was some feature in cPanel that allowed wildcard SSLs to operate properly. They are pretty popular, and I may just be overlooking something thats already there to do this. Just let me know if this supported or not is all I really need. Thanks!

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Wildcard SSLs aren't supported unless you plan to put a dedicated IP on each one. Otherwise, there is no way in the cPanel or WHM interface to install the SSL multiple times onto the same IP.