The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will any of these files needed for restore be corrupted by bad kernal upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rockster, Jan 6, 2004.

1. rockster

rockster Well-Known Member

will any of the files that are necessary for transfer be compromised by the kernal upgrade failure???

we were notified to upgrade redhat 9.0 whm 8.5 duel xeon machine and the upgrade went totally sour..

2 years and never a problem until today!

OK: we have the PRIMARY mounted as BACKUP drive, and the BACKUP as PRIMARY and imaged...

we want to perform the backup from the files on the primary

using HOW TO LIKE the partial below:[

""""
    Manual Restore of a Cpanel Server Hard Disk
    I need to restore a server with Cpanel on it. All the files are available on a slave drive. The list of files I've got to do a manual restore or copy of an old Cpanel server is as follows:

quote:

Best way of moving files will indeed be using SFTP as root. OK, before you move anything else, move this file (or when you move your user files (/home) the ownerships will be lost):

/etc/groups

Then...

/etc/domainalias
    /etc/domainips
    - Edit the IPs.
    /etc/localdomains
    /etc/named.conf
    - If moving to a 7.1 box , remember to copy the 'key' entry from the 7.1 file into the old 6.2 file and add this entry as well:

--------------
    controls {
    inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { "key"; };
    };
    --------------

/etc/shadow
    - This will revert your root password to the same root passwd as the old box.
    /etc/passwd
    /etc/proftpd.conf
    - Edit the IPs.
    /etc/proftpd (dir)
    /etc/userdomains
    /etc/valiases (dir)
    /etc/vfilters (dir)
    /etc/ssl (dir or sometimes a symlink to /usr/local/ssl)
    /var/cpanel (dir)
    /var/lib/mysql
    - Stop mysql before copy this one, and restart it after, the mysql root password will be reverted to the old one, so it's a good idea to edit /root/.my.cnf and either enter the old root password, or go to mysql and enter the NEW mysql root password ( mysqladmin -uroot -p password ), this needs to be done or a mysql error will occur on the user's CPanel.
    /var/named
    /var/spool/cron
    /usr/local/ssl (dir)
    /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf
    - Edit the IP's, here the best bet is to bring the file into a text editor, get rid of all the text on the old file up to the FIRST VirtualHost entry (right after and replace it with the text from the new httpd.conf .. I usually just do a copy/paste in my favorite text editor, if you don't do this, most likely apache will fail.
    /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists (dir)
    /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives (dir)
    /usr/local/cpanel/base/frontend (here just grab any custom skins you might have created .. otherwise, leave it behind)
    /usr/local/frontpage (dir)
    - Inside this dir there is a symlink named 'currentversion@' .. do not copy that, also no need to copy the directory "version4.0" inside that as well.

And....

/home (dir)

Restart all services, and you should be all set. If moving to a new machine, but keeping the same IP's .. you will need /usr/ips as well.

"""

will any of these files that are necessary for transfer be compromised by the kernal upgrade failure

rock