The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will changing MX entry forward Inbox's contents?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kemis, Sep 27, 2005.

1. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

How to get old server's e-mail on new server...?

I've switched cPanel hosters, and I've nearly completed the process of moving all my clients over.

I'd like to know if I can simply modify the MX records on my OLD hoster and have the e-mail that's already been received to the domain's Inboxes forwarded by doing this. Will it work this way, or will only new e-mail get forwarded, and the rest still have to be downloaded manually by temporarily changing the POP3 server on the e-mail client?

My new web hoster suggested copying the mail file/folder to the new cPanel account, but doing this would then erase current e-mail in favor of the old. I preferably need a way to MERGE the e-mail without having to switch between POP3 servers to get remaining, undownloaded e-mails.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

Matt

#1 kemis, Sep 27, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  2. kemis

kemis Well-Known Member

Well, I've found out that changing the MX entries doesn't forward the e-mail that's already been received, which makes sense. If I'm wrong about this, then please let me know.

I also found out that you can simply concatenate (as opposed to overwriting) the mail files! For example, I FTP'd into the old mail server & downloaded the mail files. I then FTP'd into the new mail server & downloaded those mail files to another location. After that, I opened the two files in a text editor capable of handling Unix text files easily, and copied the old mail file's contents into the beginning of the new one. Finally, I re-uploaded the new, combined inbox to the new server. Voila! Old and new e-mail on the new server ready for downloading.

This is rather lengthy, though. There's got to be a better way, right?

-- Matt