The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will "Needs SNI?" update later?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chuckun, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Chuckun

Chuckun Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Using WHM 11.40.1 (build 8), I have only one dedicated IP which I will be using for myself and all clients unless they specifically want their own IP.

This means that SNI will be required.. However, after installing a very basic SSL certificate on my root domain and then looking at the SSL Manager, I see this:

Domains: mydomain.com
    IP Address: xx.xx.xx.xx
    Is Primary Website on IP Address? Yes
    Needs SNI? No

I will be needing SNI so the 'No' under 'Needs SNI?' is a concern.. But as this is a new server, this is currently the only domain on the server, and the only SSL certificate installed.. So is it normal at this point? If I added a new domain and SSL would it then change to 'Yes'?

Just need a bit of clarity because once I start hosting some of my customers, I need SNI to be working..

Thanks for any help!

Chuck

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

This is by design. It shows "No" for "Needs SNI" because it's the first domain name on that IP address. Additional accounts that you add on that IP address will require SNI for SSL certificates.

Thank you.

3. Chuckun

Chuckun Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Excellent! Thanks for your clarification :) I hoped this was the case but just wanted to clarify as I've never used SNI before so was worried I might've done something wrong.

Kind Regards,
    Chuck