The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will parallels buy cPanel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sarhosting, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarhosting

sarhosting Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Guys n Gals,

this is a little bit of a worry to me - to be honest. I hope & prey to god that cPanel will not sell to parallels, if they do, parallels will just shut it down, like they have done to Helm, plus others. Plus their support is rubbish!

Can anyone from cPanel officially comment?

2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    cPanel is NOT currently involved in any talks to be acquired/bought out/etc by parallels.

3. krazybob

krazybob Registered

Will Parallels Buy cPanel Next?

First and foremost, I am going to be very direct and do not intend to be impolite.

I saw another post from 7 months ago that was answered -- and quickly closed by staff. But that was 7 months ago.

SW-Soft has literally destroyed my business. I got away from Ensim and its issues and into Virtuozzo, Plesk and HSP and then lost my lease at my data center. No fault of my own - they were tearing the building down. I paid SW-Soft to make the changes in HSP and they butchered it so badly that I was offline for several weeks. Really only 4 days, but DNS propagation caused customers to think otherwise. I have lost hundreds of customers and 10's of thousands of dollars in revenue. The only way to recover was to assign nameservers to each server and have customers update. WOW. So much damage was done that I opened 151 support tickets -- 2.6 per server. Because I did so SW-Soft refused to renew my support contract. Many of the tickets disclosed bugs galore! Some tickets were duplicates because their miserable support could not understand the questions at hand, and even worse, were unaware of the WRITTEN plan created for the mass-migration written in advance and accepted by all parties.

Now I am looking at cPanel and MUST ask -- are you next? If you say again that you currently "have no plans", only to announce next month that Parallels has bought you like Helm, Ensim, H-Sphere, SiteBuilder and now ModernBill -- I'm not going to be happy :( Instead of 60 servers I now have 20 and I am too old to find a new career.

I have told you of my experience because if you are considering an offer by Parallels you must know that your reputation has a price that will never be enough.

4. isputra

isputra Well-Known Member

It's look like cpanelnick already answer this question on another thread :

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=78068

5. markfrompf

markfrompf Well-Known Member

That was a pretty vague response from him.

Parallels basically bought up all the little control panels that weren't worth a whole lot of money. cPanel isn't as vulnerable, so probably less likely to happen. Also, consider that it would start a monopoly, which I'm sure some of us avid cPanel-ers would start a class action suit on if necessary.

Well, that will probably get this thread closed. Sorry.

6. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter: