The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will SA filter out spam?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by gundamz, Jul 5, 2007.

1. gundamz

gundamz Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have setup a forwarder to pipe email to my helpdesk.

Will SpamAssassin filter out spam for this case?

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't think any Cpanel forwarder account will be run through Spamassassin for filtering. So if you receive 100 spam at bill@abcdefg.com (on your cpanel machine) and you set up a forwarder to forward that mail to bill@hijklmnop.com, then bill@hijklmnop.com will receive those 100 spam. Even worse, if you are forwarding to an email address whose mail system scans for spam during the SMTP phase and rejects if it is determined to be spam, you'll end up with a ton of bounces left on the Cpanel machine trying to be sent back to the forged sender.

So if you are going to forward from one email address in a domain hosted on Cpanel to another email address served on a different machine, make sure that recipient machine accepts ALL mail - if it doesn't, the cpanel server you are on will end up generating backscatter spam.

I wish there were some law that now prohibited forwarding of mail.

Mike

3. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    All mail for a domain is spam scanned and filter even if the dest if a forwarder, etc.

4. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Depending on how you have exim configured on the cPanel server.

If you just have SpamAssassin enabled on your account, but do not have exim configured to reject messages with spam scores greater than 10, 15, or 20, then basically all that will happen is the message will get tagged with a ***SPAM*** subject (again, if this is configured in the exim configuration) and still get forwarded. This still runs into the issue that mtindor is talking about.

However, if you are just piping your mail, which I'm assuming is a local pipe, then the parser would still receive the message, depending on how the configuration is set up.

But I do agree with mtindor, if anyone comes across this thread and is thinking about forwarding mail off of the server to another server, simple solution, don't do it. It will cause more problems than its worth.