The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the backup scripts get improved?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RedFutura, Feb 6, 2005.

1. RedFutura

RedFutura Well-Known Member

Hello,

The backup functionality of WHM needs various improvements. There needs to be an option to compress incremental backups and also to send them to a remote ftp.

I do not know exactly how the incremental backups work, but should'nt WHM be able to create a file list with all files and date of modification? This would allow incremental compressed backups. The process could be this:

1. On first backup make a file (or database) with all files and modification date.
    2. Make uncompressed backup of everything
    3. Compress backup
    4. Send to remote ftp
    5. Update the file (or database) with new files and modification dates.

Then, on the next backups the compressed backups can be easily updated. If I am not wrong there is a feature in "tar" that allows a file to be updated without having to uncompress everything.

2. irchs

irchs Well-Known Member

I agree, incremental backups are possible using FTP.

Another thing that would be good, would be to make the process run in two threads, one that creates the backups, and one that actually uploads the files when the compressed backups are created. This would dramatically reduce the backup time needed.

If this is not implemented by CPanel, I may have a crack at doing it myself.

Thanks

Jan

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you have a suggestion, then you should follow the route explained on cPanel's site and log an enhancement request in bugzilla.