The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this work?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by bitgeek, Jun 28, 2012.

1. bitgeek

bitgeek Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

My host doesn't allow me to produce a full CPMOVE file for my account as it's using a large amount of disk space and they claim the backup process crashes their server.

I am able to generate a .tar file from the command line of my entire home directory (/home/jack) without causing too much load (using nice) and am able to email support and have an admin create me a cpmove file skipping the home directory.

My question is how would I restore the account on another server should I ever move. Could I just create an account with the same user name on cPanel server, restore the cpmove file to it and then untar my .tar file? Would this work, keeping all email, SQL databases etc in place and working?

Thank you :)

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Totally speculative, but given you have:

1. A cpmove tar ball containing everything except the home directory; and
    2. A tarball of your home directory

then migrating to a different host or server should entail:

1. Upload both tarballs to the new server
    2. As root execute /scripts/restorepkg with the path to the cpmove tarball as an argument (e.g. /scripts/restorepkg /root/cpmove-bitgeek.tar.gz )
    3. After the account is restored copy the home directory tarball to the home directory
    4. Ensure the owner and group of the tarball is the actual user
    5. As the user (not root) unpack the home directory tarball in your home directory

That should give you a full account restore. I have no idea what problems, if any, could result from this.