The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Windows XP SP2 break Cpanel access?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maverick, Mar 7, 2004.

1. maverick

maverick Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've commented on Cpanel's reliance on irregular ports in the past and its potential cause for problems in an increasingly security conscious computing world. Just looking at one of the changes in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (which will be unleashed upon millions in just a few months), is that "an enhanced Internet Connection Firewall will be turned on by default and will close all ports".

For more information on Windows XP SP2 check out:
    http://www.arstechnica.com/wankerdesk/04q1/sp2-beta-1.html

I hope Nick is aware of this. If I'm understanding this correctly, I can see it causing a real support headache. I hope that a workable port 80 fallback can be implemented before WinXP SP2 comes out.

What does everyone else make of this?

Mav.

2. zappz

zappz Well-Known Member

As far as I'm aware all you'll need to do is "configure" windows ICF to allow connections to and from whatever ports you need.

The other option of course is to turn ICF off within Windows and use a 3rd party software firewall such as Zonealarm or a Hardware firewall.

I can't see this being an issue at all. All we are seeing is the consumer finally realising that they need security. Microsoft are answering the consumers needs. We are all being spoon-fed, which of course is no bad thing if your unaware.

3. maverick

It would seem that the enhanced ICF XP SP2 will, by default, block Cpanel/WHM access. I realise it will be readily configurable to allow Cpanel access, but the main concern is for those many situations where the ICF will not be configurable by the user and only be network administrators (e.g. in virtually all workplaces and any public internet connection; librarires, cafes, airports etc). Beyond that though, Cpanel is supposed to make life easier for the end-user - not harder. From my experience as web host I know that many of our clients would have trouble configuring a firewall - not to mention the confusion they'll go through initially. It all just seems so unnecessary - why not just have Cpanel go through port 80?

Mav.

#3 maverick, Mar 8, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  4. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

thaphantom is right.

brenden

5. maverick

So have any of you guys actually installed the beta release of XP SP2? Or are you just basing your conclusions on the existing ICF in Windows XP (which I realise doesn't affect Cpanel access)?

Mav.

6. pirania1

pirania1 Well-Known Member

I had no problem connecting to my servers.

7. lindoughs

lindoughs Registered

and I repeat, thaphantom is right, this has nothing to do with outgoing ports, I have been running WinXp Sp2 Beta for about 2 weeks now and I acess my Cpanel Server every day, not that it makes any difference because it was never going to break it anyway, you have a basic misunderstanding of what ICF / a firewall does and does not do.

Cheers

Lindoughs.Com

8. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

yes, I can confirm that SP2 will not break cpanel because ICF is a stateful firewall. I recommend that some people do some reading on firewalls before claiming one would break cpanel. one asked why not have it run on port 80. well for security reasons that is not smart because that port is always scanned as one of the first.
    and on top you would need an extra ip for cpanel because all your virtual hosts run on port 80 unless you do not plan to host websites. ;-)

9. maverick

Thanks to everyone for their input on this. I have learnt a lot - much appreciated.

Mav.

10. bazzi

bazzi Well-Known Member

I cann't connect with sp2 to my whm on https, but http it works fine.

On my old laptop I have sp1 and that laptop will connect to the https whm.

Can somebody help me with this issue?

11. Ramsy

Ramsy Guest

No problems here.
    Running SP2 as well.