The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Zend Optimizer Help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DavidR, Dec 2, 2007.

1. DavidR

DavidR Well-Known Member

I'm running the latest RELEASE of 11, Apache 1.3x and PHP 4.47. I use the mod_suphp option in EA3 and I understand that eaccellerator doesn't work with that, or at least it is of no help. I saw the zend optimizer option recommended to help with php loads, and I have one simple question. Does Zend help scripts not specifically encoded for it? (i.e. is it going to be of use for sites with osCommmerce, Wordpress, etc).

Thanks!

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

yes and no. These two pages explain ZendOptimizer and Php code optimizations: http://www.webperformanceinc.com/library/reports/SugarZendOptimizer/index.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP_accelerator

#2 AndyReed, Dec 2, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  3. DavidR

DavidR Well-Known Member

Hmm, thanks. That doesn't look too promising for my situation. Most of the sites I host are those I have developed, so I'm thinking I might drop mod_suphp and enable eaccelerator. I've read of significant performance boosts there, and perhaps I can spare myself the need of more resources just for one or two busy sites.

I should probably ask in another post, but besides having to find out what directories must be changed to 777, are there any other big problems with disabling mod_suphp on an active server? Also, am I inviting big trouble from the outside, or is this mainly a safeguard against errant account owners?

Thanks for your help.