The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows and Panels (not just cPanel)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SupermanInNY, Aug 6, 2005.

1. SupermanInNY

SupermanInNY Well-Known Member

Hi Y'all,

I have cPanel box running on good 'ol RH9 box.
    It was up 154 days,.. then I had to turn it off for few hours so we can add more memory sticks and then we got it up and now our uptime is at 'only' 168 days and going.

Am I happy with cPanel?
    You BET!

Have I tried other panels?
    Yes, I have. I have a DirectAdmin box running on Whitebox Ent Linux 3. and it is also running fine, but lacks many features and great interface that cPanel has.

Well.. where does all this lead to?

Ok.. I've seen other posts here mentioning one thing or another about Windows solutions.

I've been exploring and exhausting this issue to extreme.
    So here are my experiences with Windows:

I first started out with Plesk 7.01 that soon became 7.02.
    It was partially flakey,. had errors here and there in various screens. Had to do a re-install of the entire OS and panel.. just fun altogether. Well.. that was back in December 2004.

Since then, in March I purchased HELM from Webhost Automation.

A totally new concept on how your accounts are set,,.. everyone is a reseller by default, and everything is flexible to install every software possible.
    The only problem,.. WHA do not support 3rd party products.... like AWStats or Webalizer. If you have a problem,.. oh well. then you have a problem.
    Worst, it turnout that there are NO HARD LIMITS available at this time.
    Users who got a limit of 200MB.. can easily upload 1GB. Yes.. you get a warning letter,. but nothing actually limits them. Same thing applies to Bandwith..
    I had one account with 15GB of bandwidth in his plan. I neglected to check on system messages..but decieded to check the reports after a month.... well.. he was OVER 75GB.
    Again.. no Hard Limits.
    The No Hard Limits along with bugs and problem with various parts of the system.. pissed me off. I was busy fixing and debuging and chasing customers rather than busy selling.

So,. I formatted the HD.. fresh install and put Plesk 7.5.4 the latest available at this time.
    A great looks and feels, but also hinders few bugs here and there (that a quick reboot resolved - uptime.. what uptime?).
    Plesk too.. NO HARD LIMITS - this was confirmed with Plesk Tech support.

So.. next.. I contacted Ensim and H-Sphere and all of them.. in Windows: NO HARD LIMITS.

Now.. I'm testing a new panel called InsPanel.
    They claim to have HARD LIMITS ON. They seem to be the only ones so far with that option.

Unfortunatly,. that panel is still in my opinion still in its early stages and has many features missing or need refinment. I just had it install yesterday and I'm still struggling with basic default settings. I hope those will be hammered pretty soon.

OK.. so this is the review for leading control panels in the market.
    NOW,. I want to hear about cPanel and the possible Windows solution by cPanel.
    I spoke with someone who was at the latest hosting congress and he said cPanel folks told him the lookout is for December 2005. Is that real?

Has anyone had a sneak pick at the system and can provide some insight about the way it is going to work?
    Hard Limits enforced? both for space and bandwidth?
    Can I test this system? whos should I contact to get a testing environment?

-Alon.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It's highly unlikely that you're going to see cPanel running on Windows, IMO. If you want more information (though you're unlikely to get it beyond what's on the front of their site) you need to contact cPanel and ask them.

3. SupermanInNY

I just did, Here is the reply:

Hello,

cPanel for Windows is still under development and we do not have an ETA on when it will be released. When we do support Windows, it will be added to http://www.cpanel.net.

Thank you.
    --
    Kyle Pinkley
    Technical Support Representative
    cPanel, Inc.

4. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Kyle's reply is correct. I can also let you know that we're hoping to see a public Beta for Windows within the next 6 months, barring any major problems. The Windows product will be for 2003, requiring Active Directory.

5. SupermanInNY

At this time,. I'll be happy to have my box placed in testing right now (if available).

-Alon.